INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DAC under $500 recommendation  (Read 2776 times)

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
DAC under $500 recommendation
« on: May 08, 2021, 06:39:30 am »

Well.   I bought a Topping E30 and it lasted a couple of weeks and when I switched from Media Center to Amazon Music on my Mac...there was a horrible noise and it went silent.   I returned the unit and switched to an SMSL M300 and the same thing happened.   Now, I'm nervous....somehow I'm frying these DACs.   

But I have an Oppo DAC and for years, I've been doing the same thing and it never blew up like this.   The Oppo still works fine.   

I guess there are some engineering shortcuts in these cheaper DACs.   

Anyway, maybe I should spend a bit more. 

Any suggestions?   

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Mojo DAC
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 02:50:28 am »

Well, I said I can't pass that up (Chord Mojo), but what I'm doing is not a portable headphone dac/amp, but rather a standalone DAC.   I can't find any user comments who have plugged a Mojo into a receiver on a permanent basis - other than one comment that it has a design defect and makes screaching noises - fixable but you have to send it back to Chord. 

The DACMagic 200M would be a better fit although $200 more!!!   I'm going to reluctantly cancel the Mojo order today.  Too bad, a darn good price on the Mojo. 

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DAC under $500 recommendation
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:12:52 am »

Update:

I had settled on the Cambridge 200M DAC you referenced and almost pulled the trigger when I read a flurry of negative comments from users on Audio Science.   I reluctantly ended up ordering the similar priced Gustard X16 (which may also have problems, who knows?)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/gustard-x16-balanced-mqa-dac-review.17419/

Wheaten

Re: DAC under $500 recommendation
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 07:56:04 am »

i've seen worse DAC's :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up