INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming won't start on iPad  (Read 1495 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
Streaming won't start on iPad
« on: May 16, 2021, 06:12:44 pm »

I use JRemote to control JRiver on my Windows HTPC and it works just fine.
I have enabled DLNA and created an Access Key.

If I switch zone to "This Device" (iPad) in JRemote, I can select a file (audio or video) for playback.
Unfortunately when I hit the Play button nothing happens.

What am I missing? I expected either the audio file or video file would start playing on my iPad?
Do I need to install nPlayer if I want access to video playback?
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming won't start on iPad
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 10:45:52 am »

I use JRemote to control JRiver on my Windows HTPC and it works just fine.
I have enabled DLNA and created an Access Key.

If I switch zone to "This Device" (iPad) in JRemote, I can select a file (audio or video) for playback.
Unfortunately when I hit the Play button nothing happens.

What am I missing? I expected either the audio file or video file would start playing on my iPad?
Do I need to install nPlayer if I want access to video playback?
Check your windows firewall (highest probability of an issue).
Where is your actual material stored??
Also, if your Audio content is high sample rate or an unusual format you'll probably need to enable transcoding in JRemotes settings.
Lastly because of shortcomings in Apples HLS protocol, if you aren't on MC27 video clips longer than about 15 minutes will likely stop playing at that point.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 08:09:09 pm »

I will check the Firewall settings, but I will need to research that.

The video files are either TV shows recorded by MC or DVD/Bluray images ripped as MKV.
Most of my audio files are 16/44.1 or 24/48 FLAC. I think I also tried an MP3 as well but I can confirm that tonight.

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 09:19:27 am »

I discovered that if I go to the playlist and select the file, it will start to play.
However, only the audio is heard on the iPad and I can't seem to make the video output appear.
In addition the main screen still shows that the file is not playing and the file advance +30/+60 buttons don't affect the playback.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:24:37 am »

I discovered that if I go to the playlist and select the file, it will start to play.
However, only the audio is heard on the iPad and I can't seem to make the video output appear.
In addition the main screen still shows that the file is not playing and the file advance +30/+60 buttons don't affect the playback.
mp4 files will play natively.
Others need to be transcoded on the fly.
MC27 added a different method of encoding because the previous Apple supported streaming protocol (HLS) had issues with longer tracks.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 09:48:36 am »

I still have not managed to get streaming working with JRiver.
However I was able to install the VLC Streaming Helper and start streaming on the iPad with VLC.

Here are the settings from MC I have tried:
Video conversion: MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream
                          H264-TS 480p
                          MKV H264/AAC 1080p AutoFPS

In all cases, the audio plays fine but there is no video. The iRemote application is completely unresponsive to playback controls and I have to close the application to stop playback.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 10:08:29 am »

I still have not managed to get streaming working with JRiver.
However I was able to install the VLC Streaming Helper and start streaming on the iPad with VLC.

Here are the settings from MC I have tried:
Video conversion: MPEG2/DVD NTSC stream
                          H264-TS 480p
                          MKV H264/AAC 1080p AutoFPS

In all cases, the audio plays fine but there is no video. The iRemote application is completely unresponsive to playback controls and I have to close the application to stop playback.
If you are preconverting on MC to a native playable format on the iPad you should choose the MP4 conversion profiles, not MPEG2, H264-TS or MKV.
None of those containers are natively playable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up