INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Access from another PC on your LAN  (Read 993 times)

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
Access from another PC on your LAN
« on: May 18, 2021, 06:49:42 pm »

I have two Windows 10 PC's that run off the same router in my home.  The Workstation has all the music files and the laptop has limited storage.  I was following this info on the Wiki to link the laptop to my workstation:
Access from another PC on your LAN
To use Client/Server working, on your client PC:

1. On the client instance of MC in Standard View, in the tree in the left pane, expand "Playing Now" and "Playing From".

2. Under "Playing From" select "Add Library". A window will pop up to enter details. Name the Library then enter the Access Key from the Library Server of your Library instance of MC (see above). Click OK.

3. The client PC will now access the Library Server and load the library. Note that the media files are not transferred and don't need to be, just the meta-data stored in the Library.

You should now have access to all of your media held in your Library Server. The settings of the Library Server instance of MC will also be used.

If your Library Server instance of MC has a TV Tuner set up, you can also watch the TV Channels tuned.

Note that you don't need another MC licence for this client if you own it and use it.

My problem is that when I follow these instructions on my laptop, Media Center says I cannot add my own library.  Maybe I just don't understand.  I thought Media Center would let my laptop select playlists to play and otherwise function like Media Center does on my workstation.   

Thanks in advance for any advice and explanation. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Access from another PC on your LAN
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:08:53 pm »

Turn Media Network on on both computers.

Wait a minute, then on the laptop, enter the Access Key from the other computer.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2021, 12:07:10 pm »

Turn Media Network on on both computers.

Wait a minute, then on the laptop, enter the Access Key from the other computer.
  OK, I figured out to use enter the key into the "Browse" field of Local Library which connected the laptop to the Workstation.  However, I don't understand what to do next because I am not actually seeing the playlists or music files on the Workstation.  Attached is what I am seeing.  Is there another step to take now in order to see the playlists and music files located on the workstation from the laptop? 

thx!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 12:36:15 pm »

Hit the Audio or Playlist option.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 01:27:02 pm »

Hit the Audio or Playlist option.
  Thanks, tried that (I think :) ) - the playlists on the Workstation are not visible on the laptop.  The first pic is the view of the many playlists on the Workstation.

This 2nd pic is what the laptop is showing.  Same issue with the files visible under audio.  The only files showing in the laptop view are files on the laptop.  So, there seems to be some config that still needs to be done. 

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 06:01:28 pm »

I think you chose the wrong option when adding the library.
You selected "local library" and entered the Workstation key - this created a new local library on your laptop, under a folder called "wkuyEq". The screenshot says it has 0 files, which is normal because it's a brand new library.

You need to select "Library Server" and paste the key there. You can also use the direct IP address and port of the Workstation there, like "192.168.1.10:52199".

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 08:42:12 pm »

I think you chose the wrong option when adding the library.
You selected "local library" and entered the Workstation key - this created a new local library on your laptop, under a folder called "wkuyEq". The screenshot says it has 0 files, which is normal because it's a brand new library.

You need to select "Library Server" and paste the key there. You can also use the direct IP address and port of the Workstation there, like "192.168.1.10:52199".
Adding that way using the key gets me back to the original problem of the error message "you cannot add your own library".  Using the IP address gives me the error "there is a problem loading New Library.  Please ensure your network connection is available and that the server is running correctly. "   

I just tried again using the IP with the port 52199 and now it works.  Wow - thanks so much!  Geez - that is a lot of detail not contained in the Wiki.  Pretty simple once you know the exact needed details how to configure.  But, if you don't know it needs an IP and port that is the kind of missing info I would never figure out on my own. 

Thanks again!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 08:54:11 pm »

Adding that way using the key gets me back to the original problem of the error message "you cannot add your own library".  Using the IP address gives me the error "there is a problem loading New Library.  Please ensure your network connection is available and that the server is running correctly. "   

I just tried again using the IP with the port 52199 and now it works.  Wow - thanks so much!  Geez - that is a lot of detail not contained in the Wiki.  Pretty simple once you know the exact needed details how to configure.  But, if you don't know it needs an IP and port that is the kind of missing info I would never figure out on my own. 

Thanks again!

The access code should work. The error message sounds like you may be using the access code for the client, not the server.  Make sure you are using the access code from the server. Adding using the IP address works, but it is not the normal way to do this.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2021, 12:05:15 am »

The access code should work. The error message sounds like you may be using the access code for the client, not the server.  Make sure you are using the access code from the server. Adding using the IP address works, but it is not the normal way to do this.
This must be the problem.  All I know about is the Access Key which is a 6 character alpha string found at Tools > Options > Media Network and under the top string "Use Media Network to share the library and enable DLNA". 

Seems I don't understand what you are referencing and am a bit lost with the terminology. 

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2021, 02:23:06 am »

All I know about is the Access Key which is a 6 character alpha string found at Tools > Options > Media Network and under the top string "Use Media Network to share the library and enable DLNA".

That is correct. But to connect to the server you must use the server's Access Key on the laptop. The error message means that you are trying to use the laptop's own key to connect - in effect, you're trying to have it connect to itself.
So you need to get it from your server (Workstation) and enter it on your client (laptop).

The other possibility is that you copied/restored your database and now you have the same Access Key on both machines. If that's the case, then you need to change the Laptop's Access key by clicking it in Options and selecting 'reset'.

Anyway, if you don't plan to use MediaCenter while outside your house (via internet while on the beach), then using the IP address is fine (though it's recommended that you setup your Workstation with a fixed IP so it doesn't change). Using the access key gives you remote access (and takes care of changing LAN IPs, I think), but remote access may not work anyway until you also configure your router and/or firewall.

Shasta Mike

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 09:39:10 am »

The other possibility is that you copied/restored your database and now you have the same Access Key on both machines. If that's the case, then you need to change the Laptop's Access key by clicking it in Options and selecting 'reset'.

I don't remember now what I did but do know that, indeed, the same access key alpha string is on both computers.  Thanks for this explanation and corrective action! 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 10:02:12 am »

Nice work, zybex!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 10:20:51 am »

Thanks!

Jim, a suggestion: if an IP is entered with no port number, assume port 52199, or try both 52199 and 52200.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2021, 12:41:42 pm »

MC should not allow different computers to have the same access code. Is there some way for MC to insure that this situation does not happen?  Not sure the best way to do that but a restore could check for a duplicate code. Not sure how else is might happen. There may be other ways to do the check.
Pages: [1]   Go Up