INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing / Exporting Playlists  (Read 607 times)

LI-S4

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Importing / Exporting Playlists
« on: April 05, 2003, 07:06:22 pm »

I have MC 9.0.143 running on both my laptop and home desktop.  I had to reinstall MC on the descktop and lost my playlists.  Since the playlists on laptop were recently updated from the previous install on the desktop, I thought I could just copy them back.  I copied C:/Program Files/J River/MediaCenter/Data/playlistx.jmd file back to the same location on the desktop and also copied the Playlists folder to the desktop.

I've rebooted but the playlists don't show up.  Any ideas?  Can I pull them back from my iPod?

Both systems are Win2k Pro with registered versions of MC 9.0.143.

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: Importing / Exporting Playlists
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2003, 08:53:35 pm »

Hi Li-S4,

I think it's not enough to only copy the playlistx.jmd file because internally it reffers to the songs and stuff of the library through specific codes that are defines in the other *.jmd files (mediafiles etc..)
I think it's always better to copy the library as a whole.
You can do that on your laptop with File/Library/backup library... then go in the Data/backups directory to get the library backup (in zip format) copy to your desktop in the same location and do File/Library/restore library...
You will end up with the same library structure and playlists on both machines.

Now, if you really only want to copy your playlists you'd better use the File/Export playlist feature.
Then choose a format that will be importable (MPL is best, it's an ascii xml format that you can edit with notepad). Copy those mpl files to your desktop and then import them with Tools/import media... check the Media Playlist (mpl) box and click [start search] at the location where you copied the mpl files. Your playlists should now appear in MC browser as Playlists/Imported Playlists.

Now an important thing : for this to work you have to make sure that your media files (audio, video) are stored in the same drive letter+directory structure on both machines.

let us now and have a nice day (sunday morning over here !)

Christian

Listening to: 'Sunday Morning Coming Down' from 'Classic Cash' by 'Johnny Cash' on Media Center 9.0
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

LI-S4

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Importing / Exporting Playlists
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2003, 09:09:10 pm »

Christian...thanks! and Good morning!

The backup/restore worked fine!

I was having a hard time with import/export since the music files a resident on the desktop, but the laptop points to the files stored on my office network...Since they are in different locations the import wouldn't work properly.

After the restore, the desktop still pointed to network drive, so I imported the library media again whcih left me with duplicates of all media files...the resident files and the network counterparts (which of course, the desktop was unable to play).  I then sorted by File Name, selected all the files on the network drive, and deleted them from the library...That worked perfectly!

Thanks Again!

Thanks again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up