INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing a library in MC27 on a new PC does not include the custom fields  (Read 570 times)

Bert

• Recent member

I have stored my music library on a Synology NAS and have added and populated several custom fields such as "Artist comment" and "Album comment" and "Album rating". This was working fine on my Windows 10 PC, on which JMC27 was installed, reading the library from the NAS. My old PC crashed, so I installed JMC27 on my new PC and imported the entire library from the NAS.

So far so good, except for the fact that the newly installed JMC27 does not import and show the any custom fields (as far as I can see). In Metadata under "Tag Dump" I see at the bottom of the dumplist:

Vorbis Comment Block (3410 bytes):
    ALBUM SOURCE = Bought December 2020
    ARTIST COMMENT = <Too Long To Display>
    ALBUM COMMENT =  <Too Long To Display>

So they are "kind-of" imported as a block of text, but not as separate fields.

What setting do I need to change to ensure that all fields from a existing library are imported and shown as separate fields?

Best regards,
Bert

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You re-imported all music files, not the database. MC has all info stored on its own database (in C: ), not everything can be stored on the audio files themselves as metadata. This database is what is called the "Library" - NOT your music files. So you should restore a backup of your previous library; MC automatically creates these backups, but unfortunately they're also in C:, unless you change it.

- The library database is usually in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 27\Library
- Backups are usually in C:\Users\<username>\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 27\Library Backups

If you can still access your old PC/disk, then you need to get the last backup file from it, and do a File->Library->Restore on the new one.
If you can't get the backup... then things are much harder and you may have lost some metadata.

Bert

• Recent member

Zybex,
Thanks so much! Indeed, in JMC27 on the new PC I imported all music files from the NAS. Luckily, I still have access to all files on my old PC, it is the processor which crashed. I also stored automatic back-ups of the Library on the NAS, so I will restore the library from the latest back-up as you advised. All should be fine!

Second question:
In the "old" JMC27 I created multiple automatic and manual playlists, plus several "Views" under "Audio" such as overviews per genre-artist-album, etc. Can I also restore/import these Playlists and Views into the new JMC27? What is the name of the folder or files in which Playlists and Views are stored?

Best regards,
Bert
Netherlands

zybex

• MC Beta Team

Playlists are also on the database, so they will show up after restore. Views, I'm not sure, but they're also likely in the DB ("saved views" are not though).
Best for you to restore a backup and then see what's missing.

Bert

• Recent member

Thanks so much for your quick follow-up. I will try to restore everything and let you know.
Good customer service!

zybex

• MC Beta Team

I'm just a user like you  :P

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Still good customer service though.  Thanks, zybex!
Pages: [1]   Go Up