INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with importing Movies  (Read 388 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Help with importing Movies
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:33:17 am »

Hi All,
As my collection of movies starts to get 4K versions, I would like to have a way in windows explorer to see if I have the 4k version or not.
Let's say I see a way to procure a 4K version of the movie "Speed". But before I go get it, I need to know if I have it already. I am not at my MC machine, I am at my personal machine. If I were at the MC machine, it would make it easier. I want to be able to tell what it is by looking at the filename. Now I run it in VLC quickly and check media info. There is no way to name a movie in a way that reflects the resolution (or any other data like colorized) without ruining info online. "Get Movie info". Currently any movie version of speed has to be named     Speed (1994). Add any other data and it can't find the movie. I need to edit the name so it can be found.
How can I put more info in the filename that will be ignored by MC's importer?
I want to name my 4K version of Speed as:   Speed (4K) (1994). Is there any character beside the parens I can use so MC ignores the stuff inside?
If I keep both versions of Speed, I have no way to keep them both in MC becasue they require the same name.

Thanks!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with importing Movies
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 10:00:03 am »

Why not install MC on your 2nd machine (client) and connect it to the main MC instance (server) ? Then you can just use MC to search/filter what you need on both machines.

Regarding the GetMovieInfo:
- if you set the value of the field [IMDb ID] to point to the movie (eg, "tt0111257" for Speed), the GetMovieInfo will use it and will find the movie regardless of the filename
- if the filename is in the format "Movie Title (Year) tag1 tag2 other stuff.mp4", then GetMovieInfo should also work

There's also ZRatings to help you pull Movie Info and covers. Preferred filename format for it is the same as I mentioned above, but you can edit it the search name in the app to help it if needed, or you can just paste the IMDB ID.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:44:59 am »

Why not install MC on your 2nd machine (client) and connect it to the main MC instance (server) ? Then you can just use MC to search/filter what you need on both machines.
Yes, that makes sense, but the main "player" machine isn't on...sure it can be. I just like working at the file level. Once it is in the right place, I import.

Regarding the GetMovieInfo:
- if you set the value of the field [IMDb ID] to point to the movie (eg, "tt0111257" for Speed), the GetMovieInfo will use it and will find the movie regardless of the filename
How do you get the IMDB number without looking it up? I can't set the value of any field as I am importing and the file doesn't exist to have a tag yet... right? I would have to import it, then edit the tag (IMDB), then get info.
- if the filename is in the format "Movie Title (Year) tag1 tag2 other stuff.mp4", then GetMovieInfo should also work
If I put any characters at all after the name of the movie (other than (Year), get info fails. In our example "Speed". If you put Speed in the box "get info" searches with, it works, if you add anything after at all, it fails. Speed (1994) 4K fails.

There's also ZRatings to help you pull Movie Info and covers. Preferred filename format for it is the same as I mentioned above, but you can edit it the search name in the app to help it if needed, or you can just paste the IMDB ID.
I'll look into that, thanks.

Sorry I tried to quote but failed. I will try again next time. :)

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:05 am »

How do you get the IMDB number without looking it up? I can't set the value of any field as I am importing and the file doesn't exist to have a tag yet... right? I would have to import it, then edit the tag (IMDB), then get info.
Right. Or Import and then use ZRatings to get the metadata - it gets the IMDB ID for you and is a bit smarter than MC regarding the filename.

If I put any characters at all after the name of the movie (other than (Year), get info fails. In our example "Speed". If you put Speed in the box "get info" searches with, it works, if you add anything after at all, it fails. Speed (1994) 4K fails.
That is expected on the search box of GetMovieInfo. I meant the format for the actual filename.

To quote, just use:
Code: [Select]
[quote]text you want to quote[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up