INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists disapeared  (Read 535 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Playlists disapeared
« on: May 26, 2021, 08:53:34 am »

I have made several playlists of movies for each member of my family.
Each member can choose to see their playlist. I have about 8 lists, and some have 40, 50 movies in them.
Then one day a few weeks ago, the lists went empty. Every list had no movies in it, and a look at a movie I knew was in a list didn't show it was in a list anymore.
Many many hours of work are gone, and I don't know why. The movies did not move to a new location. I did nothing I can think of that would do that. I went back a week, and then a month opening up backups of the library, and even backups a month back don't have anything in the lists. Where they did at the time the library was backed up.
Any ideas why all the movies that were in playlists dropped from those lists. All at once, every movie, every list. The movies are all still there, just my lists are empty.
I don't trust the playlists to stay now. I will need a better way. Like exporting the lists to text once a week or something. Unless it is something I did... I just can't think of what that might be.
Thanks

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlists disapeared
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 09:37:08 am »

Is this on an MC Client or Server/standalone?
What the client sees can be restricted by setting a filter on the Server options.
Also, are the files still visible on the "Movies->Files" menu? If not, then MC may have removed them depending on your setting for the "fix broken links" option.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 10:17:14 am »

Standalone MC, Files on a server.
Yes, all the files are still there, MC sees them, they show up in regular veiws.
Just all playlist data disappeared. The List names are still there, but empty.
To me, that means there is no "list", but a look to see what movies have a playlist named "xxx" in their data.
When it was working, you could see in the data for the movie that it belonged to playlist "x" and "y", those pieces of data are gone. Something cleaned the playlist info from all my movies. The movies didn't move, I didn't delete the sidecar or anything.

Thanks

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:50:29 am »

To me, that means there is no "list", but a look to see what movies have a playlist named "xxx" in their data.

Yes, that's how playlists work. To have all playlists cleared you would need to clear that field on all files (or clear the playlists one by one). Or delete the playlistsx.jmd file.
I don't recall other complains similar to this, so I don't think there's some unreported bug regarding this... perhaps the .jmd file got corrupted by was lost.
I assume you're talking about normal playlists, not smartlists.

Edit: you say old backups are also missing the playlists - THAT is strange.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 09:05:25 pm »

Edit: you say old backups are also missing the playlists - THAT is strange.

Not if it works as you state. :) If the files don't have tags for playlists now, then older restores will also have blank playlists, because the files still are not tagged with playlists.

Something cleared the lists, and that is at least 10 lists (not smartlists), or removed the tag for the playlist from all the movies. There had to be several hundred movies total in all the playlists. I understand they are gone (the tags, the movies are just fine), I just want to know why, so I don't do it again.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up