INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EPG in UK  (Read 1758 times)

MrGrymReaper

• Recent member
EPG in UK
« on: May 28, 2021, 07:28:41 pm »

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a EPG feed for use in JRiver, I have been looking at OTA but it's still as bad as ever. Not much detailed, high quality and up to date meta data. I'm not willing to be responsible for causing the shutdown of Schedules Direct, as obviously they have been finding out people are violating the agreement terms.

As in people are actively using their service for non-personal, commercial, non-hobbyist purposes, which is in violation of their Gracenote data license. Even when using an approved application to obtain the data from their service, its where it finally ends up (JRiver) that's the violating part! So if the final destination and use purpose is approved along with the application then it's alright.

For example personal, non-commercial, hobbyist use in an approved app listed in the website obtained with xmltv; then it won't violate their license. Anything else will violate their license, then the more people doing this the more likely they are to be shutdown. Which would deny those abiding by the terms applied, access to the service where they won't be able to afford the the fees for Gracenote or other legal station and content owner approved providers.

They give the show title (and sometimes subtitle) or movie title, a basic short description not many characters. Often mixed with other meta data in the same field (if added). No mention often of any star ratings, and age suitability rating in the description. Let alone genre if the short description over runs by a bit too much. They certainly don't give the season episode number of the show, and if they do its at the cost of another piece of meta-data

Plus the quality and/or amount of meta-data can frequently change, thus leading to me needing during the past before JRiver, when on open source to subscribe to an xmltv epg provider. As their data was extremely substantially better, detailed, stable and in time was really up to date.

I verified this by speaking with another family member who has their own receiver, and they told me it is the same as it was several years ago. Before I became a customer of JRiver.

I know of Perc Data however they don't provide, their service outside of the United States/Canada. I tried to get them interested in providing it to United Kingdom, or Europe. However they said that they don't have the infrastructure for delivering the JSON feed required, and also couldn't afford the data from Gracenote. However I'm now wondering whether the people power of JRiver's customers outside, of those two countries could help to provide those funds.

Please answer these questions:-

• What services are available in the United Kingdom for detailed meta-data to the standard provided by Gracenote?
  • What are you doing to obtain the xmltv format electronic program guide data?
  • Would you subscribe to Perc Data if they expanded beyond their US/Canada market?

Thanks for your help in this.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: EPG in UK
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:19:04 pm »

FYI -

Even in US/Canada, JSON service is not available with Perc Data.  Perc Data is not as complete as SD is in terms of data.  So if  you are looking for data comparable to SD, Perc Data may not be the answer, even if they provide it in UK.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

The CasaMan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:04:50 am »

Here's hoping I'm writing this post in the right place......

Some time ago, I spent a good deal of time wrestling with the EPG issue; and that was before the 'freebe' was pulled. I remeber it became quite involved and took quite a bit of time.
I confess that I did tire of it and effectively gave it up as a bad job.  I think I last left it saying that I was not prepared to pay for a service unless I could be absolutely sure that it would work.  Shame really as my tuner card cost over £70.  He-ho.

I have just taken delivery of the latest LG C1 48" OLED Smart TV for my music room (it integrates so well).  For the first time therefore, I plugged my satellite feed into the back of it (not something that I have ever experimented with before).  Pressed all the appropriate buttons to get it to set up the channels etc.  Really fast; really comprehensive; all the main channels and many more.  EPG thoroughly comprehensive.  With the addition of an external USB drive, I can now record programmes at my leasure and have them readily available in my library.  Quite seamless.

Why can't JRiver do that?!

Tim

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 11:21:07 am »

Why can't JRiver do that?!

Have you tried JRiver MC lately?  Your TV set, being a dedicated TV device can automatically start scanning, but in MC all you have to do is to run TV Setup.  You then "press all the appropriate buttons to get it to set up the channels".

If I guess correctly, your TV set is using the OTA guide data.  In MC you can select "OTA" for guide during setup.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up