INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: beqdesigner: a jriver dsp simulator and editor  (Read 10479 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: beqdesigner: a jriver dsp simulator and editor
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2023, 08:22:22 am »

Is there any way to import biquads as part of the  peq configuration ?
import biquads from where?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2023, 10:05:03 am »

another build published -> https://github.com/3ll3d00d/beqdesigner/releases/tag/0.11.0-beta.23

adds

* ability to see phase, impulse and step response of each channel (also in the XO design view)
* supports combining MDS filtered main channels into the sub channel

cvtaudio

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2023, 12:31:19 pm »

import biquads from where?

They are part of an existing Mini DSP config and have been created using REW.
I am in the process of transferring this into a JRiver / USB interface based setup and unfortunately the old REW measurements and data are no longer available.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2023, 01:22:54 pm »

They are part of an existing Mini DSP config and have been created using REW.
I am in the process of transferring this into a JRiver / USB interface based setup and unfortunately the old REW measurements and data are no longer available.
no afraid not, there's no way (that I know of) to convert raw biquads into defined filters so it's not something I can deal with

I'd suggest importing the resulting frequency response in and then create filters to invert that back to flat by hand, once you've got a decent match then invert the gains and you'll have your filters

cvtaudio

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2023, 02:21:59 pm »

no afraid not, there's no way (that I know of) to convert raw biquads into defined filters so it's not something I can deal with

I'd suggest importing the resulting frequency response in and then create filters to invert that back to flat by hand, once you've got a decent match then invert the gains and you'll have your filters

Thanks for the hint, I will give this a try. Worst case I need to redo the REW measurements.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2023, 06:16:12 pm »

Hi,
I'm a bit confused by the channel mappings

The 7.1 for Parametric Equalizer shows the channels as how I'd expect them to be mapped input to output with RL and RR considered channel 5 & 6 but output to channels 7 and 8.

When you swith to Parametric Equalizer 2 the order is changed with SL and SR on channels 5 & 6 for both input and output? 

Am I just am misinterpreting?

Thanks
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2023, 02:34:16 am »

I'm a bit confused by the channel mappings

The 7.1 for Parametric Equalizer shows the channels as how I'd expect them to be mapped input to output with RL and RR considered channel 5 & 6 but output to channels 7 and 8.

When you swith to Parametric Equalizer 2 the order is changed with SL and SR on channels 5 & 6 for both input and output? 

Am I just am misinterpreting?
it is a bit confusing but arguably logically correct, I did think of merging these two into 1 graph at one point which may make it more obvious what is going on

i.e.

the full graph is really

input channels -> PEQ1 -> PEQ2 -> output channels

input and output are essentially numbered channels
PEQ1 and PEQ2 operate on jriver named channels

the apparent reordering of channels occurs in that first step so, that by the time you look at the 2nd one, it's just a passthrough of named channels

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2023, 10:13:04 am »

Thanks for explanation 

Any idea about following warning that written out to command window once in a while?

Warning: Could not load "C:\Users\mkaga\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI38922\gvplugin_pango.dll" - The system cannot find the file specified.

I see other gvplugin*dll's in temp directory, but as warning says, not this one.

Warning that can be ignored?
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2023, 10:18:31 am »

you can ignore it, no impact

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2023, 01:37:10 am »

Matt, just trying out the latest mac version using a dsp file from MC30.   I am getting an error message "invalid file 'SL'" when trying to load the dsp file.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2023, 03:19:12 am »

Can you post the file?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2023, 08:34:00 am »

Can you post the file?
Apparently I can't attach a .dsp file to this message.  Can I email it to you?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2023, 08:36:28 am »

Can you post the file?
I have changed the extension to .txt from .dsp in order to attach it.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2023, 09:06:37 am »

Matt, just trying out the latest mac version using a dsp file from MC30.   I am getting an error message "invalid file 'SL'" when trying to load the dsp file.
To clarify, I am using the OSX version of beqdesigner to remote into MC30 on a Windows 10 machine.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2023, 10:13:20 am »

To clarify, I am using the OSX version of beqdesigner to remote into MC30 on a Windows 10 machine.
it's a 4 channel output format and beqd treats this as L R C SW, either because MC used to use those channel numbers or I misread something in the past and thought it used those channels. I'll have to fix beqd to understand that 4 channel output means L R SL SR instead.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2023, 10:20:09 am »

a temporary workaround would be to switch output format in MC to 6 channels, load that in beqd, ignore the fact C and SW are mentioned but then switch it back to four channel output when loaded back into MC

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2023, 10:31:34 am »

a temporary workaround would be to switch output format in MC to 6 channels, load that in beqd, ignore the fact C and SW are mentioned but then switch it back to four channel output when loaded back into MC
I don't see an option in MC for 6 channels.  Would that be 4 channels + 2 extra channels?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2023, 10:36:01 am »

I don't see an option in MC for 6 channels.  Would that be 4 channels + 2 extra channels?
Ok, 4 + 2 worked; imported successfully.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2023, 10:43:34 am »

Ok, 4 + 2 worked; imported successfully.
5.1 is the standard 6 channel format

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2023, 10:47:28 am »

5.1 is the standard 6 channel format
Ok, but is there any difference between 4 + 2 and 5.1?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2023, 10:49:47 am »

For your purpose, probably not

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2023, 10:58:01 am »

I successfully imported the MC 5.1 settings and exported back to MC30 with a low shelf filter added.  Can you advise what all those extra entries in DSP Studio are for (see screeenshot)?   Except for the low shelf they are all set to 0 dB gain so no effect but wonder why they are there?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2023, 11:03:24 am »

It's just how the geq option is implemented,. It puts all the filters.in the dialog into DSP studio. You can add a single filter using the peq option if you prefer

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2023, 11:08:51 am »

Thank you, Matt.  This graphical view is very nice indeed not to mention being able to do it remotely from the laptop.

Next up is getting REW filters into beq/MC30.   Is that just a simple export/import filters from REW?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2023, 01:07:32 pm »

yes it imports in txt format via the PEQ dialog - https://beqdesigner.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ui/manage_mc/#peq

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2024, 10:59:54 am »

When I test the connection to the server (in the JRiver MC tools window) to the same instance of MC on the same machine, it passes the connection test when setting it up, but comes up with an error when I try to connect the JRiver tool to retrieve the DSP Studio settings data, despite the fact that I have enabled BOTH parametric EQs within DSP Studio. The error reads:

Unable to load DSP file
Invalid file
Unsupported count 0

The same error pops up if I try to load the JRiver tool using a saved DSP file, so I think the problem is with the information in DSP Studio, not with the connection, but I could certainly be wrong. And once again, BOTH parametric EQs are enabled in DSP Studio, as I had read in the docs that at least one peq would need to be enabled.

One other piece of information: beqDesigner launches just fine with no issues (after 3 or 4 tries) and I am able to load filters into the main window through browsing the online data base ("Browse Catalog" under the tools section of the main window) and then save the files, but I can see no way to then send a loaded beq file to the JRiver tool within BEQDesigner or to DSP Studio directly. Does BEQDesigner's JRiver tool work only with DSP configuration files and data?

Here is my DSP file, renamed with a TXT extension in order to attach it to this post:

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2024, 12:16:02 pm »

it seems I didn't include support for output format = source number of channels when extra channels > 0

for now, you can change it to 7.1 in MC then use beqd to edit and upload it back, just change it back to "source no of channels" before starting playback

Bob Sorel

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2024, 12:56:20 pm »

Bingo! Everything works fine now!

I simply reduced the extra channels to zero as I really didn't need them anyway, as they were for Atmos speakers. My AVR synthesizes the Atmos information through Dolby Surround, so MC has no reason to deal with them. This way I can leave the output format set to "source number of channels" without any issues. I also got rid of the garbage info I had in the 2 parametric blocks so that I can work with a clean slate, so I am good to go now.

Many thanks again!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up