INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Fixed with MC 28.0.53) Issues in the standard views (unmodified)  (Read 1735 times)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen

I've recently been using more and more of JRiver, and it's replacing other applications I've been using for years (yes, I like it that much). However, I come to notice that there are some "issues" with the standard views (I haven't changed anything in that regard - so they are in their original state, off-the-shelf if you want to call it that way).

For TV Shows, there seems to be a "buffer" setting, causing the view to not always honor the aspect ratio of the "cover art", only when exceeding a certain threshold for the "cover art" aspect ratio, it switches to "wide" display (see DuckTales). Examples are collected on the screenshot. DuckTales is displayed OK (although, I'd say it would look better if the view would recognize the exact format and just make a fitting frame for it), but for the others, that's really bad. Why cut off information on the side, when the view obviously can display "cover art" that's too wide? *

For Audio, this here seems to be a comparable settings issue. Look at "Enema Of The State". Note the missing "e" at the very end. However, no "..." is displayed to indicate that information is truncated. It is displayed for "Take Off Your Pants And Jacket" though... **

Again, these screenshots are from unmodified "off-the-shelf" views...

Edit: One additional issue. When I select e.g. Audio --> Artists --> Albums (e.g. all the Aerosmith albums) and then close JRiver, it'll display this same view again after loading. That's fine. However, if I try to click on Artists (in the tab header of the view, showing "Artists > Aerosmith Albums" in my example) to get back to the main Arists view, this does not work, the link is dead. Doing this in a single session (without closing JRiver) does of course work. **

Edit:
All these issues have been fixed with MC28. Thanks a lot :)

* Solution: Tools --> Options --> Tree & View --> Thumbnails --> (deactivate) Standardize aspect ratios (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130316.msg903956.html#msg903956)
** Fixed: Install 28.0.53 or higher (https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,130449.0.html)
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
Re: Issues in the standard views (unmodified)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:49:36 am »

I also see this in Theater View, and the regular Video Views, that use this array of "frames"/"boxes" to display cover art.

Examples attached. I can't imagine, nobody has ever noticed that. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Edit:
Yes, I was missing a setting. See OP (edit). Thanks Matt!
END OF LINE.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 03:26:26 am »

The Duck Tales one just looks like it's missing the Cover art - in that case MC just grabs a screenshot of the video itself and uses it as a cover. It just happened to grab a frame that actually looks like a cover, but it isn't. Try to manually add a cover for it.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 03:41:21 am »

Hi zybex!

DuckTales may look like it's missing the cover art, but JRiver is indeed displaying it. I had chosen the title screen as cover art and JRiver correctly pulls it from the *.jpg sitting next to the *.iso.

JRiver seems to display cover art that is way too wide for the box/frame completely, and fills the void above and below with some (averaged) color.

However, images close to the box/frame aspect ratio are just "truncated" to match the box/frame.

I'd like to always see the entire cover art. Ideally, when highlighted in Theater View, the box/frame would just switch from potrait to landscape in case of "wide" cover art. Otherwise, fill the sides or top/bottom with (averaged) color like in the DuckTales example.

Plus, the "Enema Of The State" example shows, that for border cases the text display is also not quite correct ("e" not displayed, but also no "..." to indicate something's missing).
END OF LINE.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 05:55:35 am »

The Duck Tales one is likely because the Media Sub Type value is wrong.

MC will display the cover art for anything with a Media Sub Type of movie in portrait, and anything with a Media Sub Type of TV Show in landscape.

I presume this was a deliberate developer decision.

The cut-off, I'm speculating, but this looks like a bug.
Probably caused by the fact that it's only truncating by a single character (hence it can't fit the three dots in and throws a fit)

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 06:38:52 am »

The Media Sub Type for all my movies is set to "Movie", and for tv shows to "TV Show". So, DuckTales = TV Show, and the screenshot was from the "TV Show" view. The other exemplary tv shows on that screenshot have a portrait cover art and are displayed accordingly (with truncation on the sides though...).

Also, there is cover art for movies in wide format also (example below), and this is displayed exactly like DuckTales in view "TV Shows", just in view "Movies".
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 01:04:41 am »

Added an additional view related issue to the OP.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 08:37:04 am »

Updated OP with the solution to one part of the issues.
END OF LINE.

voodoo5_6k

• World Citizen
Re: (Fixed with MC 28.0.53) Issues in the standard views (unmodified)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 11:52:24 am »

Updated the OP again, as all remaining issues have now been fixed (with MC 28.0.53).
END OF LINE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up