INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with Quad  (Read 1614 times)

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
Issues with Quad
« on: June 06, 2021, 01:03:02 pm »

I've just noticed that my Quad files (such as old Pink Floyd mixes) were only playing back in Stereo (not downmixed, just the front L/R channels). I went to Tools > Options > Audio > DSP & Audio Format and saw that "Source Number of Channels" was selected. I would assume that would mean that playback would be exactly as the album's mixer had intended.

I did some research on this board, and saw an old post where someone recommended changing the number of channels to 5.1 (my system consists of a Mac Mini connected via HDMI to a Marantz 8805 Pre/Pro. My surround setup is Atmos 5.1.4). I made the change, and now get surround from those Quad mixes, but sound also comes from the Center channel, so this is obviously getting reprocessed as 5.1. Is there a way to hear it exactly as it was intended? Shouldn't "Source number of channels" mean that the mix comes through exactly the way it was meant to? Now I'm getting paranoid that JRiver is reprocessing all my music into its own funky mixes, and I want to make sure I'm hearing mixes as they should be.

Thanks in advance!

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issues with Quad
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 01:23:06 pm »

Check in Audio Midi Setup to see if the Mac can actually support 4.0 to your device.

AGAWA

• World Citizen

AGAWA

• World Citizen

vigotone

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Issues with Quad
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 10:35:04 am »

Thanks for your replies. It seems the best thing for me to do is to select 5.1 channels (since that is what my speaker configuration is other than the Atmos channels) and turn off JRSS Mixing by selecting "No Upmixing or Downmixing". Now I should be getting all mixes as they were intended (eg. Quad with nothing in the center channel). If I want Stereo upmixed to 5.1, I can have that done by the Marantz.

Are there any disadvantages to doing this? I always try to follow JRiver's "recommended" settings, so the fact that JRSS Mixing is recommended threw me off.

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up