INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Ability to rename output channels  (Read 470 times)

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Feature Request: Ability to rename output channels
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:27:48 am »

I acknowledge the facility to have additional channels and reroute/remix signals to them.  However, having the ability to rename them would be more than just a convenience.  I am now working with DiracLive3.

My 3 subwoofers run on channels 4 (Subwoofer/LFE), 7 (Rear Left) and 8 (Rear Right).  Without DL3, all work as predicted and I can reroute and re-mix as needed.   

However, DL3 seems to recognize the "type of speaker" on each channel by its name.  As a result, DL3 recognizes the sub on channel 4 as a subwoofer and applies the requisite LF test signals and controls for a subwoofer.  However, it recognizes the other two subs according to their labels and applies full bandwidth test signals and no suitable crossover options.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request: Ability to rename output channels
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 11:29:30 am »

When you say the DSP recognizes channels based on names, where is it pulling the name from?

Internally we just have an index.

We switch to a display name in some cases, but where is that ever passed to a DSP or other processor?

Where in MC are we using the name other than Room Correction and Parametric Equalizer?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 11:55:00 am »

When you say the DSP recognizes channels based on names, where is it pulling the name from?

Internally we just have an index.

We switch to a display name in some cases, but where is that ever passed to a DSP or other processor?

Where in MC are we using the name other than Room Correction and Parametric Equalizer?

Thanks.
That's a great question and I have challenged the Dirac crew about this and they said:  "First and foremost, could you double check that your channel arrangement is set up as expected inside the JRiver Output Format settings and subwoofers are properly arranged and labeled?"

I do not know where the right or wrong information comes from.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 12:25:10 pm »

Is it an audio output? If so, asio channels can have names upto 32char long I think, does it use this?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 08:41:47 pm »

Is it an audio output? If so, asio channels can have names upto 32char long I think, does it use this?
Yes and no.  There are two parts to DL.  The first is DiracLiveProcessor which can be configured as a VST plug-in in JRiver or as a virtual audio card situated between the output of JRiver and the actual output device (DAC).  For DLP, the channel names are irrelevant and the output via the DAC does whatever JRiver dictates.

The other part is DiracLive (no P) which is an application for measuring the speaker outputs and generating corrections for each channel and for bass/sub management and control.  Unsurprisingly, this measurement/calculation part treats main speakers and subwoofers differently but to do that it has to know which channels are main speakers and which are subs. 

Right now, it knows that Channel 4 is a subwoofer in the standard 5.1 arrangement but it does not know that Channels 7 and 8 are also subs and presumes they are rear channels.  AFAIK, neither JRiver nor DL have the facility to rename the channels.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Pages: [1]   Go Up