INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video via HDMI while audio is via USB - stuttering  (Read 1586 times)

Deribas

• Recent member
Video via HDMI while audio is via USB - stuttering
« on: June 21, 2021, 04:28:53 pm »

I used MC for many years on a Mac mini, which output everything (sound and video) to a multichannel processor via HDMI. Recently, I switched to outputting audio signal to a multichannel USB DAC, which works fine for audio-only files (Hi-res, multichannel, PCM or DSD). However, when I attempt to play my ripped BD audio/video files in the .mkv format, with audio going to the USB DAC as above, and video to a monitor via HDMI connection from the same mac mini, after a few seconds I start getting stuttering of both audio and video (synchronously), rendering it unwatchable. Has anyone dealt with this issue successfully?

Many thanks in advance

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video via HDMI while audio is via USB - stuttering
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 04:52:58 pm »

Are you playing over Wifi? Try copying the content locally to the mac-mini and playing from there.
If that's not it, check if the CPU/GPU usage is maxed out on the mini, try switching to 'Red October - Standard' in MC video settings.

Deribas

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 10:05:19 am »

Thank you, zybex, for your reply and suggestions. No, I’m not using WiFi. My music files are on an NAS connected via wired Ethernet, as is my computer. Moreover, the same setup held up fine while I was using HDMI for both audio and video.
As far as video settings, I could not find the menu you are referring to on my MC v27 for MAC. There is nothing called “red October - standard” in the settings. Is this perhaps a Windows MC video option?

When I use USB for audio output and HDMI for video (when playing a concert blu ray rip), Activity Monitor is showing very high CPU usage, so perhaps the hardware is stressed beyond what it can comfortably carry out (it’s a late 2014 Mac mini).

I was able to circumvent the problem by simply changing my video connection to the monitor from HDMI to thunderbolt. Now the CPU use is down a lot and no more stuttering. Go figure!

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 11:23:33 am »

Yes, Red October is a Windows settings, sorry about that.
Good that you were able to fix it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up