INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After HDR Movie, screen is super bright  (Read 591 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
After HDR Movie, screen is super bright
« on: June 24, 2021, 08:13:44 am »

Hi all, I was hoping someone had come across this and had a solution.
I have a number of movies in 4K with HDR. I am able to play them very well in MC by using Red October HQ, and setting up Madvr.
When the movie is over, the screen is super bright, we can barely make out the text in standard veiw.
The only way I know to fix it, is to go into Display Properties, the the HDR switch, and turn HDR on there, then turn it back off. That fixes the too bright until we play another HDR title.

What am I missing trying to get the display to back to where it was before we played HDR stuff?

Thanks

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: After HDR Movie, screen is super bright
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 11:59:44 am »

For me this comes and goes as Windows and Nvidia update things. In the past if I hit the the Back button to leave an HDR movie instead of Stop I would have that problem. Hitting Stop would be OK. Then I think at some point it switched and Stop didn't work. Right now it is a crap shoot.

I think the best overall way to deal with it is to use madVR's tone mapping instead of the TV's. This means you don't get the HDR flag on your TV. @tij (I believe) has great posts on this.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Re: After HDR Movie, screen is super bright
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 09:17:34 pm »

Thanks rec head.
That solves it for me. Just go back instead of stopping, then stop. No bright screen.
Works every time.

Thanks again!

Pages: [1]   Go Up