INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: URC (Universal Remote Control) MX-450  (Read 2110 times)

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
URC (Universal Remote Control) MX-450
« on: June 24, 2021, 06:48:35 pm »

Now that Logitech is phasing-out their remote business, I needed an IR/RF remote for a new home theater install (with the equipment out of sight).  Thus, I purchased a Universal MX-450 and its RF base station.  Is there a way to utilize the RF mode of my MX-450 to control MC in Theater View?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: URC (Universal Remote Control) MX-450
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 06:57:39 pm »

Have you tried it?

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 03:38:29 pm »

Have you tried it?

I hadn't tried it, until just now.  But pushing pause/play etc. buttons on the MX450 to control those functions on MC seemed counterintuitive and the lack of response when I did so, was what I had anticipated.  As mystifying as MC sometimes seems to be, I thought that some sort of magic would occur based on the question.  My uneducated guess is that if it can work, then I will need to perform MC settings and Windows settings along with perhaps some hardware add on's.

The need for a non-line of sight RF method of controlling JRiver with my URC MX450 remote has me scratching my head.  First, is it possible?  Second, if it is possible, what needs to happen from a software and hardware perspective?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 04:08:18 pm »

Read about the Media Center Remote on our wiki.  Ok on the D Pad can be used to pause and play.

See if your remote has a Media Center Remote.

Lots of people use phones as remotes.

The wiki has a topic on Remotes.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 04:47:03 pm »

But pushing pause/play etc. buttons on the MX450 to control those functions on MC seemed counterintuitive and the lack of response when I did so, was what I had anticipated.  As mystifying as MC sometimes seems to be, I thought that some sort of magic would occur based on the question.

Maybe you could explain why pause and play buttons controlling MC seems couterintuitive.

And what magic you imagine.

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 06:47:16 pm »

Using ANY buttons on the RF MX450 sans some sort of setup of it and the PC/MC was counterintuitive.  But because you asked if I tried it. Pause and Play were simply used as examples of trying it. 

It didn't makes sense to me to try the MX450 that issues a RF signal to work with my out-of-sight Windows PC/MC; especially when those buttons are active or not, depending upon what equipment I have them related to in submenus.  But I tried pushing the Pause & Paly buttons just to see if anything happened as you asked. 

Because my upstairs Logitech Harmony Companion remote just worked with MC, I wasn't sure of the technical aspects involved.  So to me, and in a very general sense of the word, it was magical.  Usually, I attempt to understand the background processes involved in something like the Companion remote working with MC. But since it just worked, I was a happy camper and didn't bother digging into it further.

BTW, I'm using an elcom bluetooth trackball with my PC.  I was able to set one of its buttons to Pause & Play. So, with or without that 1-button press, it will do what I need to manage MC.  However, I was hoping to do away with it and just use my MX450 in Theater View, like I can with my Harmony Companion.  But if it's not to be, so be it.             

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 06:52:09 pm »

To get your new remote working, you may have to install some software from the manufacturer on the PC.  Communication between the remote and the PC needs to work before you have a chance.  Try Google.

You might try Panel.  It's on the wiki.

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 10:36:19 am »

Thanks Jim. 

If anyone else has had experience with a non-direct (RF vs IR) use of Universal Remotes with MC (MX450 specifically), I would appreciate hearing your advice or experiences....   

Outlaw Audio

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Dogs......because people suck
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 12:29:40 pm »

Thanks Jim. 

If anyone else has had experience with a non-direct (RF vs IR) use of Universal Remotes with MC (MX450 specifically), I would appreciate hearing your advice or experiences....

Not using the MX450 but I have successfully used the Logitech Elite IR/RF remote on both my Home Theater setup and my secondary office music-only setup

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/harmony/harmony-elite.915-000256.html

From looking at the pictures it appears the Universal system makes use of an RF to IR hub to translate the RF signals from the remote to the discrete IR signals sent to IR Blasters on each component.  With regards to JRiver, I used FLIRC on the Home Theatre computer to translate the IR signals to key strokes and mapped them to JRiver.  The downside is if JRiver isn't in the foreground, it won't get the keystrokes; luckily this (should?) never happens under normal circumstances on my system.  I am not aware of any computer peripherals that will accept RF codes and translate them into keystrokes. 

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 04:03:02 pm »

Thanks for the input Outlaw Audio. Having to use either my Elcom trackball, or Logitech Bluetooth keyboard with touchpad to control JRiver verses just the URC MX450, is obviously manageable, if not a tad bit cumbersome.  The only problem with either, is that an inadvertent push &/or touch while dark and during a movie, has unintended consequences.   

As you referenced that you're using, the Logitech Elite was planned for the new home theater we just installed.  But before we could acquire one, Logitech decide to discontinue it and the rest of their remote line.  Unfortunately, that leaves consumers without a lot of choices as far as RF remotes are concerned. 

BTW, after my family found Elcom trackballs (wired/USB/Bluetooth) several years ago, they're been our go-to input devices.  Since we bought our first ones, the Japanese company has expanded their product line by developing newer, bigger and better models <http://www.trackballmouse.org/elecom-trackball-range-explained/>. 

Outlaw Audio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 04:46:17 pm »

As you referenced that you're using, the Logitech Elite was planned for the new home theater we just installed.  But before we could acquire one, Logitech decide to discontinue it and the rest of their remote line.  Unfortunately, that leaves consumers without a lot of choices as far as RF remotes are concerned. 

Huh?  Was not aware that the Logitech was discontinued, guess that means Ill be looking into alternatives when these remotes die off.  I've also worked with the iCache devices but it takes a bit of work to come up with an elegant front end and if you don't have all the pronto codes for your devices, the development work can be tedious.  Most of the macro's I used on the Logitech were ported directly from the iCache platform which is TCP/IP based. 

There was a pretty nice front end called iRule that used this platform, but the company behind it was bought out by Kramer Controls.  I got certified as an installer for Kramer Controls but the devices were so over the top for home use it just wasn't worth it so that when I started with Logitech.

BTW, after my family found Elcom trackballs (wired/USB/Bluetooth) several years ago, they're been our go-to input devices.  Since we bought our first ones, the Japanese company has expanded their product line by developing newer, bigger and better models <http://www.trackballmouse.org/elecom-trackball-range-explained/>.

Being left handed, I'm not a big fan of trackballs over touch screens or wand style remotes

What scheme are you using to interface the IR signals to your HTPC?

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 09:15:24 am »

Huh?  Was not aware that the Logitech was discontinued, guess that means Ill be looking into alternatives when these remotes die off.  I've also worked with the iCache devices but it takes a bit of work to come up with an elegant front end and if you don't have all the pronto codes for your devices, the development work can be tedious.  Most of the macro's I used on the Logitech were ported directly from the iCache platform which is TCP/IP based.

There was a pretty nice front end called iRule that used this platform, but the company behind it was bought out by Kramer Controls.  I got certified as an installer for Kramer Controls but the devices were so over the top for home use it just wasn't worth it so that when I started with Logitech.

Yeah, I was surprised when my A/V folks told me the Harmony Elite was no longer available.  Thinking it was just the Elite, further research resulted in the finding that Logitech was phasing out their remote segment in its entirety.  Too bad!!

Being left handed, I'm not a big fan of trackballs over touch screens or wand style remotes

What scheme are you using to interface the IR signals to your HTPC?

Left handedness does present its own problems, not the least of which are with input devices.  Back in the 80's, working with a mouse 40-hours a week, when I came home, I thought that deviating from mouse movements to different ones may be beneficial, so I adopted my first trackball (a Logitech Trackman Marble).  I later found it was the perfect device to use on the arm of a recliner.  In the meantime, my wife and son adapted to its use and now we're all three using them. When the trackman died and was no longer available from Logitech, I went to others.  But the Elcom ones have been the best for me. 

The Elcom Trackball Pro that I'm using in the home theater area has the option to be wired/wireless (USB dongle) or Bluetooth.  So, because the computer is out of sight and headless, the Bluetooth Elcom works with the PC without a "scheme".  Although "schemes" (as you have worked) make sense, I wasn't aware of them per se.  That was part of my consternation with trying to get my URC MX-450 to interface with my PC.  Hence, why I assumed it wouldn't work with the PC and MC without some sort of technical intervention on my part. But as I mentioned the Logitech K810 keyboard also allows an interface with the HTPC and has some keys that work to control MC.  Both it and the Elcom will do as I need with MC in theater mode.  But the purposes of an universal remote are to eliminate remote clutter and provide ease of use in darkened spaces and that was my goal with hoping to use the MX450 with my PC/MC.

Outlaw Audio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 10:57:35 am »

The Elcom Trackball Pro that I'm using in the home theater area has the option to be wired/wireless (USB dongle) or Bluetooth.  So, because the computer is out of sight and headless, the Bluetooth Elcom works with the PC without a "scheme".  Although "schemes" (as you have worked) make sense, I wasn't aware of them per se.  That was part of my consternation with trying to get my URC MX-450 to interface with my PC.  Hence, why I assumed it wouldn't work with the PC and MC without some sort of technical intervention on my part. But as I mentioned the Logitech K810 keyboard also allows an interface with the HTPC and has some keys that work to control MC.  Both it and the Elcom will do as I need with MC in theater mode.  But the purposes of an universal remote are to eliminate remote clutter and provide ease of use in darkened spaces and that was my goal with hoping to use the MX450 with my PC/MC.

Makes sense.  Unfortunately, unlike the trackball (which already has a wireless connection and a set of drivers that allow it to work with the computer) the majority of universal remotes will need some additional hardware to interface with a PC.  FLIRC is one of those hardware bits but its a bit of a challenge getting it to turn on a computer rather than just waking it up.  Currently, my HTPC hibernates when not in use but this does not allow the client to reload the library upon waking.  Im taking the HTPC down this week to re-engineer a better solution

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2021, 12:08:57 pm »

Makes sense.  Unfortunately, unlike the trackball (which already has a wireless connection and a set of drivers that allow it to work with the computer) the majority of universal remotes will need some additional hardware to interface with a PC.  FLIRC is one of those hardware bits but its a bit of a challenge getting it to turn on a computer rather than just waking it up.  Currently, my HTPC hibernates when not in use but this does not allow the client to reload the library upon waking.  Im taking the HTPC down this week to re-engineer a better solution

Thanks for the FLIRC recommendation.  It was not something that I was aware.

Yeah, turning-on a PC vs waking would be a challenge.  One could use a remote or voice to activate an A/C outlet, but thereafter, I'm unsure how to engage a PC's power button.  I would guess that a modification to the PC's wiring scheme would be required to remotely turn its power on -- or some kinda' robot arm to press the button.;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up