INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bitstreaming ... none recommended??  (Read 939 times)

pepar

• World Citizen
Bitstreaming ... none recommended??
« on: July 11, 2021, 09:57:57 pm »

I have a small Debian/Intel NUC connected via HDMI to a very nice pre/pro that decodes all of the latest codecs. My MC content is movies from BDs, MLP ripped to FLAC and DSD. I know I can't stream DSD over HDMI, but why would I not want the movies's audio bitstreamed?

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Bitstreaming ... none recommended??
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 11:01:09 am »

I have a small Debian/Intel NUC connected via HDMI to a very nice pre/pro that decodes all of the latest codecs. My MC content is movies from BDs, MLP ripped to FLAC and DSD. I know I can't stream DSD over HDMI, but why would I not want the movies's audio bitstreamed?

Jeff

I think bitstreaming is not recommended in general because it's less flexible (doesn't support volume control/levelling, room correction, or dsp) and less compatible (it can be flaky with some endpoints).  So many of MC's features won't work when bitstreaming is enabled, and it might not work well for some users, so it's off by default.

If you have an endpoint that works well with bitstreaming and you don't need software volume control or any of MC's DSP/room correction there's no reason not to bitstream AFAIK.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 11:25:47 am »

Thanks. I never considered that ppl used MC for the things you mention but now it makes sense.

My needs for MC is strictly as a "server" of content like my other sources with decoding, subwoofer optimization and room correction happening downstream. I am still working on MC's integration into my system but no issues so far with flakiness.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 10:35:00 am »

I think this is actually mostly about features. If your endpoint has features that only work with bitstreaming. Sure go for it. But other than that there really isn't multiple ways to decode a format. Your either do it bit perfect or you done messed up. There should not be a difference wether MC is doing the decoding of the format or your thing is. JRiver seems confident they can decode virtually any audio format under the sun. Hence it's only natural they would recommend you let it do that, unless you know better. In a way you need a reason to want bitstreaming, while in any other case you'd just let MC do it and you would be fine.

pepar

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 12:37:00 pm »

Thanks, @max096. I hope I didn't come off like I was dissing Media Center! It certainly checks all of the possible boxes one could ever need .. and then some. If I had an HTPC-based A/V system I am certain I would be using more of the feature set.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up