INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best settings for "volume control?"  (Read 769 times)

pepar

• World Citizen
Best settings for "volume control?"
« on: July 11, 2021, 10:03:22 pm »

I have a small Debian/Intel NUC connected via HDMI to a pre/pro and would like to set MC's audio output to the same level as the output of my Roku. The Roku output level is fixed .. I thought there might even be a "standard" for HDMI.

In any case, I am looking for suggestions on getting the Debian/Intel/Media Center output as close as possible to the Roku.

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Best settings for "volume control?"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 11:11:55 am »

I have a small Debian/Intel NUC connected via HDMI to a pre/pro and would like to set MC's audio output to the same level as the output of my Roku. The Roku output level is fixed .. I thought there might even be a "standard" for HDMI.

In any case, I am looking for suggestions on getting the Debian/Intel/Media Center output as close as possible to the Roku.

Jeff

Well there are two different issues here: matching overall volume and matching volume of program material.

1. Matching MCs volume to the Roku's volume precisely will require a DB meter or a calibrated microphone.  If precision isn't important, you can probably get it relatively close by ear by gradually adjusting MC's internal volume.  Once you've found the correct volume setting, MC will let you specify a volume setting on startup and/or a maximum volume that can be used to ensure that MC always starts at the same volume.  To my knowledge there's no "standard" volume level for HDMI output.

2. The other issue you'll encounter is that different program material is mastered to different average volumes.  For program material there is a broadcast standard for average volume, and MC can solve this problem for you.  You'll need to run "analyze audio" on all of your files, and then you can enable the "volume levelling" option in DSP studio.  This will ensure that volume for all content is dynamically adjusted to the broadcast standard volume.  MC preserves intertrack dynamics on albums by levelling the whole album at once, but in mixed playlists will level all tracks individually.  Some Roku devices also offer automatic volume levelling, so if you have it enabled on the Roku you'll want it on MC as well.  Of course, you can also just use the volume control on your pre-pro the old fashioned way, but MC's volume levelling is especially nice for playlists IMO where otherwise you might need to turn the volume up or down after every track.  If you plan to use MC's volume levelling, get it set up first before you try to match overall volume in 1. as volume levelling tends to reduce the overall volume level for most program material.

pepar

• World Citizen
Re: Best settings for "volume control?"
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 11:33:59 am »

Thanks @mwillems, I will try streaming the same content via Roku/Amazon Prime and then from my server with Media Center. I have The Expanse and will use that as the "constant" and my ear as the SLM. The intro theme song should work and be easily repeatable.

Jeff
"I like the future, I'm in it." F. Theater
Pages: [1]   Go Up