INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Gallery of Images  (Read 9416 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
World Gallery of Images
« on: March 06, 2003, 04:47:51 am »

I'd like to toss out an idea.

Maybe you remember the thread from last September when we put together some photos of things we thought of as American.  Here it is:

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1031490129;start=44#44

Suppose we did something similar with the new image upload capability about to be in JRiver Media Center.

If you're taking pictures of anything that interests you, would it be worthwhile to share them?  I'd love to see more of Zevele's world in Israel, for example, or Autoelph's studio equipment or JGourd's mobile recording.  Harry the Hipster has an amazing collection of posters.  Maybe JoeK would take some pictures of his goats in Texas.  Cmagic and Michel both have thousands of pictures.

If we provided you a login and password for a server you could upload to, would you be willing to share photos a little?  It could be used for sharing with your relatives as well, though we might have to put some limit on it so the bandwidth didn't get too expensive for us.  Normal, casual use shouldn't be a problem.

It could be organized by person, geography, subject, etc.  Maybe we could use the photo tags eventually, but it would start out really simple, like my own page here:

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/

If it grew beyond the people who frequent this forum, we might have to charge $10 or $15 a year.

Your reaction?

NoCodeUK

Re: World Gallery of Images
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 05:18:23 am »

Sounds like a really good idea.  If you want any ideas for the service side of it I currently use a service called DotPhoto (www.dotphoto.com).  They allow people to post photos for free but charge you to get proper printed repros of your photos.  You can share a gallery publicly or only with select people who you have emailed.  You can also watermark photos when they are shared publicly so that people cannot steal your prints.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

michel

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 05:22:22 am »

Do you mean a kind of http://www.pbase.com ?

(BTW it is no more free of charge now)

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 05:26:10 am »

An excellent idea.

Check out the Webshots website (http://www.webshots.com). They've been offering this service for a number of years. It would give you lots of ideas about ways to proceed. Its a good business model. With a fully automated website, the 18 person company generates lots of revenue per person without much effort.

Brainstorming now...rather than reinventing the wheel, perhaps you could do a deal with Webshots that would be mutually beneficial. (I know the CEO and can make introductions if you have an idea to pitch.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 02:51:20 pm »

That was fun.  :P

I take your reaction as "yawn, what's on TV, Freda?".

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2003, 12:04:35 am »

Don't drop the idea jim!!! :(

I think once it got up and running people would add to it.  You could have some contests where people could vote for their fave image.  They do this on dot photo and seem to get loads of entries.  If you could do a deal with one of these that they would advertise your software as the best image organisation tool to use you could really be onto something.  They have thousands of users who probably have no image organization software on their systems at all...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 01:04:11 am »

That was fun.  

I take your reaction as "yawn, what's on TV, Freda?".

...I think it's a good idea

michel

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 03:23:28 am »

Until MC9 they were sitting in directories. Now they have Keywords and Genres and all kinds of ways to look at the collection.

Don't exagerate, it exists others photo managers which let you set keywords, genre and all custom fields as you want. But it is true that MC is really powerful to provide the view you want (view scheme).

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 10:15:25 am »

Jim - dont give up on this, because it could be interesting.

Im not quite clear on it though. If its going to be a 'photos from the JRiver community'-type thing, it sounds like fun - just got my photos back from my holiday on the Scottish isle of Arran, and I could post one. Or a photo of a yawning cat... :) I remember and enjoyed the 'American' thread, and a world gallery might be interesting.

If its going to be an online photo-storage business, then... I still might be interested, but Im less bothered about showing the world all my poorly composed photos, or paying for the space. I can view www.photo.net to see how talented people do it, and my ISP gives me webspace so I use that to let my friends see my holiday snaps without them having to listen to my boring commentary. Im no HTML coder, so Ive used Photoshop to produce it for me in the past. I think that the image upload facility is EXACTLY what is needed in the MC feature set, and Arran wil shortly give me the chance to test it.

Slightly related: I think I suggested before the possibility of using a JRiver Media server to provide an audio/visual MC tutorial. Given your steps in this direction I still think that this might be a worthwhile experiment.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2003, 07:54:03 pm »

I think this is a nice idea... Parrellel to MC but ingenious enough to pull in new users... By allowing people to upload and control thier area it

A) Gives more impetus to get people using the image capabilities (I shamefully only use MC as an audio player and manager)...

B) Creates an 'image' community

C) Promotes MC and its image abilities

D) Would let the regulars here see a little more about each others place around the globe...

I have some Thailand pics that I am steadily building on and Song Gran is coming up next month which is the best Thai festival of the year (so much fun !!!) I just missed Phukets gay pride parade which features costumes to put a caribbean carnival to chame and 100's of katoeys hamming it up... I am sure there would have been some great pics from that...

Lots of stuff I would start snapping on the island if I thought there was somewhere to post it and people interested in seeing it...    
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2003, 03:07:30 am »

....Would let the regulars here see a little more about each others place around the globe...

I have some Thailand pics that I am steadily building on and Song Gran is coming up next month which is the best Thai festival of the year (so much fun !!!) I just missed Phukets gay pride parade which features costumes to put a caribbean carnival to chame and 100's of katoeys hamming it up... I am sure there would have been some great pics from that...

Lots of stuff I would start snapping on the island if I thought there was somewhere to post it and people interested in seeing it...    

This is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind.  Seeing what people who live somewhere love about it and seeing what they see when they travel.

Sometimes, something that's common to us -- driving a car on a frozen lake, for instance -- is unbelievable to people who live somewhere else.  At least it always makes my guests' eyes pop when I take them out on the lake in the winter.

Thanks, PP, for putting it so well.

zevele10

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2003, 05:38:42 am »

I think it is a GREAt idea.
One thing: would be room for a text?
I mean more than 'there -june-2002-"

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2003, 12:28:29 pm »

OK, we're going to give this a whirl.  We'll make a real quick and dirty test of what it can look like and then decide if we should put more effort into it.

You can be among the first to take this HISTORIC step.

Here's what it will look like:

http://www.jriver.com/photos/

If you have the guts to do it, send me an e-mail ( jimh @ jriver.com ) and I'll send you the instructions on how to get the files there.

Remember, we never would have gone to the moon if somebody didn't go there.   8)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2003, 12:59:39 pm »

#1 goes to bennyd
#2 to NoCodeUK (Adam)

Thanks!

zevele10

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2003, 01:06:40 pm »

Great , but ned a room for few words- where or when or what is it.
One picture is Joshua Tree?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2003, 03:14:35 pm »

Great , but ned a room for few words- where or when or what is it.

Well, there are a lot of possibilities.  Most of them will take some work on our part.  We could, for example, put any field you choose under the picture.  Right now, it's the file name, but it could be comment or genre.

We could add a place to describe the page, just as we now accept a title.

Since there is open FTP access, you could modify the index.html file.

Or you could say a few words here, and then provide a link.

I don't know where this is going.  I just think it has interesting possibilities.

For instance, I could write a book about this guy:

http://www.jriver.com/photos/test/mike.jpg

For starters, his grandfather engineered the building of the Panama Canal (after he failed on the Suez Canal).

http://www.ared.com/history.htm

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2003, 12:07:35 pm »

Any more takers?  Send us pictures of your pet canary or what it looks like out your window.  We're not choosy.  

Any American pictures?  So far, we've got Belgium, England, and Thailand.  How about Toledo and Talahassee and Terra Haute?

zevele10

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2003, 12:54:07 pm »

I got a digital camera.
Not a very good one but at a special bargain of $50.
Just have to read the notice and practice a little and i send you some pictures

Here is my camera
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=1043867430;start=0#0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2003, 01:57:12 pm »

Say hello (and thanks) to rocketsauce.

www.jriver.com/photos

MachineHead

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2003, 03:12:04 am »

I have a taker for this when he returns from Chile. In a round about way...

I asked rjamorim (Roberto), in this thread, from HA if he would like to post some pictures of a trip he is currently taking there. (You can read more in the link provided.)

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2003, 04:47:53 am »

I have put some Thailand ones of Phuket up there now...

Add a tropical twist... Could do lots more...
HTPC Front ends  

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2003, 09:59:49 am »

I have a taker for this when he returns from Chile. In a round about way...

I asked rjamorim (Roberto), in this thread, from HA if he would like to post some pictures of a trip he is currently taking there. (You can read more in the link provided.)

Thanks, Mike.  The pictures would be a nice addition.

peterH

• Recent member
  • All you need is love
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2003, 10:11:04 am »

I would have some from Europe (not very exotic)... :D

Jim, I had sent you an email requesting instructions, did you get it?

Peter

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2003, 10:48:56 am »

Peter,
Please send again.  I may have lost a few messages switching between machines for a trip I took last week.

Sorry.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2003, 11:37:16 am »

I'm trying to keep this quiet, but last week in San Francisco, I found the perfect car for Nikolay, our CTO.  It's casual, up-to-date, yet understated.

And it comes with it's own collection of CD's.

Full size model is here:

http://www.jriver.com/~jriver/misc/diskcar.jpg

MachineHead

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2003, 11:43:00 am »

Now that is one stylin' ride. The MC-mobile... 8)

Maybe you guys ought to put this on a surfboard and use it for an icon.  ;D

PS-Reminds me of a shiner minnow out of water. :P

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2003, 05:56:47 pm »

Harry the Hipster just added a few posters from his collection.  Wild images!

www.jriver.com/photos

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2003, 06:06:37 pm »

The link needs and edit....

Remove the ~ and your hot to trot.... [done--thanks-- Jim]

Listening to: 'Tony Di Bart - The Real Thing' from 'The House Collection - Club Classics - [CD2]' by 'Tony Di Bart - The Real Thing' on Media Center 9.0
HTPC Front ends  

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2003, 06:08:05 pm »

@ Harry... i really like the 1st and last images... the 1st especially...
HTPC Front ends  

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2003, 06:29:10 pm »

Phatphreddy:

Glad you enjoyed them. Some background, if you're interested:

1st piece is for an Italian cigarette company which distributed widely in Central Europe. Its circa 1931, by a Hungarian artist named Biranyi, very rare. Quite large - about 35" by 55". Modiano posters are generally of very high artistic quality.

Last one is by Edmund Maurus, a French artist, from the 1920s. Air Union was a predecessor to Air France, and the Golden Ray covered an early Paris-to-London route. I don't have this one, though I'd like to - it comes from a West Coast dealer. It was restruck as a luggage label, and I have a couple of those. Many of the Air Union images are quite striking.

Several of the rest are from Germany during the revolutions of 1918-1923, all but one are commercial pieces (movies, German Pinkerton agency).

The 2d one is political - by an ex-pat Hungarian Mihaly Biro, who came to Germany after Bela Kun was chased out of Hungary, did graphic art for The Social Democratic party before turning to commercial work.

I have a number of other German political pieces from the Revolutionary period, both Right and Left, some of them quite over the top. Nothing you'd hang in the baby's room (unless it was Rosemary's).

HTH

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2003, 12:52:55 pm »

I just added some pictures of Zevele's book (maybe some day) when it went to the Follies Bergere and other rare sites in Paris last year.

Anybody else have any pictures (foolish or otherwise) to put up?  Cmagic, Remy, Doof?

zevele10

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2003, 01:35:24 pm »

Jim
I will send you some in one hour.
They are not of good quality and not THAT much funny ...but...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2003, 04:18:17 am »

Zev put them up.  You can see them here:

www.jriver.com/photos

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2003, 02:49:19 pm »

Any more closet exhibitionists out there?  dragyn put his car pictures up last night.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2003, 03:20:29 pm »

I put these pictures up for my sister, but I think they may be interesting to others.  They are just a collection of miscellaneous photos of both my mother's and my father's parents and grandparents.

My mother's side:

http://www.jriver.com/photos/jimh/galbraith

and my father's

http://www.jriver.com/photos/jimh/hillegass

They go back to the era of my great-grandparents and to a period about 20 years after the settlement of the parts of Nebraska where they lived.  My grandfather, P.C. Hillegass, for instance, was born in 1885.  This  picture of his mother must be from around 1875.

http://www.jriver.com/photos/jimh/hillegass/mary_styer_onleft.jpg

zevele10

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2003, 06:39:45 am »

JimH
Really interresting-
From where did they come from?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2003, 07:00:51 am »

All over.  Canada (French), Scotland, England, Germany (maybe Spanish soldiers), and maybe Native American (not sure).

A real mixed up heritage, which is quite common here.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2003, 08:52:28 am »

Quisp just added a page.  

peterH

• Recent member
  • All you need is love
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2003, 11:01:37 pm »

Just uploaded some pictures from Europe...

http://www.jriver.com/photos/peterH

CafeDesAmis.jpg is in Carouge - Geneva Switzerland
DSCN0027.jpg is in italy Liguraia Region
DSCN0066.jpg is in the south of France Alpilles region
DSCN0148.jpg is in Corsica - Erblunga Village
DSCN0177.jpg is in Corsica - Erblunga Village
expo0030.jpg is from the Swiss national Expo in 2002
FONDERI3.jpg is in Corsica - Solenzara Village
kPICT0015.jpg is in Corsica - Erbalunga Village - Hotel CastelBrando
Market Isle2.jpg is in the South of France . "L'isle sur la Sorgue" Town
vue lauzieres3.jpg is in the south of France Alpilles region
Peter

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2003, 05:00:17 pm »

MachineHead put up some pictures of his construction site on a warm day.

www.jriver.com/photos

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2003, 03:01:11 pm »

So I guess there isn't much interest in adding to this.  Just one of those driveways in life that you want to back out of with your tail lights off?

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2003, 11:53:40 pm »

Well I liked it...

Especially if it would do some forum of slideshow formatting as I mentioned... Could be very helpful like that...

Then again its how much interest v dev time...
HTPC Front ends  

peterH

• Recent member
  • All you need is love
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2003, 04:20:33 am »

I voted for it ... with my pictures ;)
Peter

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2003, 08:30:05 am »

Well I guess my photos just werent interesting enough :)

Yeah, it gets my vote - and it wasnt a bad response for a single forum thread.

I guess it depends on what you were hoping for this, but I found it interesting. Nobodys fault, but descriptions like DSC0001 etc dont really help.  If nothing else it shows how llittle most people know about HTML, so youve probably identified a future enhancement. God knows it took me ages to figure out how to add proper photo titles. If there are future developments in MC allowing other fields/comments  to be used in uploads, hopefully we will get interesting comments to go along with the photos, which will make it all more enlightening, and a good advert for MC.

As I said before dont give up on this - there is interest out there, just look at the photo competition thread. Whether its a viable business proposition, I dont know. Perhaps it was an idea ahead of its time in MC terms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up