INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote (iOS) transcode audio(?)  (Read 1190 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
JRemote (iOS) transcode audio(?)
« on: July 17, 2021, 12:16:56 pm »

I was able to find a few posts on the subject, but just for clarification…

If I choose a high definition audio file (e.g., 24bit/96kHz) to play via JRemote on my iPhone, and ‘transcode audio’ is disabled, does that mean JRemote is decoding the 24bit audio? That is, some people would imply it’s not possible for an iPhone to actually do an accurate job of the heavy lifting. That said, relative to MP3 data, I can see the data transfer rate slow to an almost crawl which would imply to me the original data is being transferred and locally decoded(?)

Of note, I am using a portable, but high quality headphone amp between iPhone and studio headcans. The amp is capable of bluetooth or MFi cable connections. Should I hear a difference?

TIA :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

shAf

Re: JRemote (iOS) transcode audio(?)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 09:14:22 am »

I’m only looking for verification. Is JRemote capable of bitperfect playing of 24bit flacs, or not?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 11:35:24 am »

good question.

I believe Apple quietly added FLAC support to iOS/iPadOS as of v11 (so it's been in there for sometime now).

I will say that when I stream FLAC to my iOS device in JRemote, it sounds noticeably better than having it transcoded to mp3; and other family members have confirmed.  unfortunately I have a substantial number of multi-channel recordings, which are a mess if you stream them to JRemote without transcoding to mp3.  Without transcoding, channels are "lost".  So then I went back and ripped the hi-resolution stereo mixes as well and use those when playing to an iOS device - which is fine since it's ultimately destined for headphone listening or car audio.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

shAf

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 11:53:13 am »

good question.

I believe Apple quietly added FLAC support to iOS/iPadOS as of v11 (so it's been in there for sometime now).

Thanks TS :
Pages: [1]   Go Up