INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rating lost when Audio file changed externally  (Read 675 times)

dmitch77

• World Citizen
Rating lost when Audio file changed externally
« on: July 26, 2021, 12:42:05 pm »

If I modify the metadata of an audio file that MC has in its library, MC forgets rating info I had assigned to the file in MC. Play count is not lost, so MC knows it's the same file.

To repro:
  • Add an file to a folder MC is watching for auto-import.
  • Play the file in MC.
  • Assign a rating in MC.
  • Externally, modify a tag or add artwork.
  • Back in MC, the play count hasn't changed, but the MC rating is gone.

MC is configured to not write to, or store anything, in audio files.

Bug? Feature? Thanks.

macOS 11,4, MC 28.0.32.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rating lost when Audio file changed externally
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 01:58:27 pm »

Interesting.  Sounds like a minor bug, but I'm really not sure, as you are not allowing MC to write to your files. 

For me, I'm mostly "all in" on MC as a music manager.  I no longer use external tools because MC does almost everything I could want in tagging or adding art work.  I also explicitly tell MC to write to my files because I want the tags to be in the files so that everything I do in MC (tagging, etc) is available when I move my music files to other systems.

I trust MC to do the right thing with my files.  I have 99.9% FLACs and MC handles them quite well (tags). 

I'm guessing you had a bad experience and don't trust most taggers, so you only use MC for playback.  You probably also have a tagger that you REALLY like and don't want to change.  Both are understandable.  But you are creating a bit of an edge case here.

I think MC is one heck of a tagging program (very powerful, fast, and repeatable).  But even if you don't want to use it for tagging, you should probably allow it to write to your files.  That might solve this issue and prevent future ones.

Just MY opinion.

Brian.

dmitch77

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 07:05:57 pm »

My portable player is an iPhone. The only way to move audio to an iPhone is via iTunes. ITunes requires that it, alone, manages all of its files. (Nasty things happen if you modify files out from under iTunes.) Also, I still buy lots of music via iTunes. So, a fair subset of my music is managed and owned and tagged by iTunes. MC can't change those music files. Since I can't tell MC "manage tags here, don't manage tags there", I have to tell it to not manage any tags.

So anyway. :-) As far as I know, what I'm trying to do is still supported by MC. So yeah, probably a bug.

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 05:30:04 am »

Oh I see now.

I really like my iphone.  But it's no fun that it's so hard to integrate the iphone with MC.  The few FLACS I have moved to an iphone, I didn't manage with itunes.  I used the "files" part of itunes and moved some FLACs over into a directory on the iphone and then had my FLAC player on the iphone look in that folder.  It's clunky and no where near as easy to use as letting itunes manage it.  Which is really too bad.  Probably one of the big reasons I really don't use my iphone as a music player any more.

My guess is that MC is being tricked by its logic by reading *only* what is in the audio file and using those values to populate the MC tags.  Instead of a merge, it is doing an over write.  Again, this is just a guess.  The developers will know more for sure.

Good luck to you.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up