INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cache cover/metadata on SSD or memory, avoiding accessing external disk?  (Read 842 times)

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi all,
I recently upgraded to version 28 on a Mac mini M1.
In the release notes, I believe I read this version is capable of separating cover/metadata from the actual content/media files to speed up things.

In my case, the Library folder is on the internal SSD of the M1, including covers.
The media files (only audio actually in my case), are on an external USB drive, much much slower.

When I scroll through my library in the Album view for example, the external drive is still heavily accessed.
I wonder why that's the case? It's definitely faster than on my older 2012 Intel Mac Mini, so something changed, but it's not fast.

I would love to have the entire library info on the internal SSD, possibly even in memory and browse it as fast as the Apple Photos app does for pictures.
Is that possible?

FYI, I have a lot of SACD/ISO files too, which I believe have the cover not embedded in them, but in the album folder itself with a sidecar file with metadata.
I am not sure if all that is also copied in the JRiver folder, or if that could be the reason the external drive is still accessed.

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck

After a few days using the newer version, I notice actually that scrolling through the Album view is pretty fast.

the external drive is accessed (I can hear that noisy seeking drive on my desk) while I scroll only.
If I stop scrolling, after a few seconds, the drive is not accessed anymore.
I noticed something interesting, if I zoom out to the max, with the covers being as small as possible, the drive would be accessed a bit longer, but after a few seconds, it would not be accessed and I can scroll without hearing the drive anymore. At that zoom level, there is only 2 or 3 screens of covers in my library.

So my guess the access to the drive is related to some pagination read ahead of some kind maybe?? ?
But most of the info is probably already on the SSD/memory. Just curious to know what it is reading and if that could be entirely avoided.

If my drive was not as noisy, I believe I would be less bothered  ::)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Pretty much everything outside of the media files are in your home folder under
Library/Application Support/J River

I'm not sure why there would be a lot of disk access unless your cover art is saved with the files?
Still, it really should just be looking at the thumbnail DB.

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck

I thought the same, but yet it still accesses the external drive while just scrolling through the covers, which slows down the scrolling quite a lot (more like making it not smooth and paginated).

I filtered the SACD, ISO, DFF/DSF files in my custom view, but it still misbehaves.

If somebody has an idea what to tweak, let me know.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

I thought the same, but yet it still accesses the external drive while just scrolling through the covers, which slows down the scrolling quite a lot (more like making it not smooth and paginated).

I filtered the SACD, ISO, DFF/DSF files in my custom view, but it still misbehaves.

If somebody has an idea what to tweak, let me know.
Have you built all of the thumbnails?
You can do that from Options, put thumbnails into the search box at the bottom.
Otherwise it will try to grab images from the tags to build missing ones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up