INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging compliations  (Read 1400 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Tagging compliations
« on: July 31, 2021, 09:25:46 pm »

OK let's imagine the following scenario...

I'm uploading a playlist of supreme tunes (I said. let's imagine, cut me some slack... :) )

A song on that playlist comes from a compilation album from, say 1985.

But the version (i.e., mix) of that song was released in 1979.

How do I tag it for the release year?

What if the version of the song on the 1985 compilation album is a different mix than the, let's say, original mix of 1979?

Given that, if I want the info I upload with my playlists to be accurate, which year should I use in the tag>

1979 o r 1985?

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

larryrup

• World Citizen
Re: Tagging compliations
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 04:17:53 pm »

That's an interesting one, and I've been annoyed by my own tagging of the year.

Ultimately, preference rules, but I know I use the year as a selectable column on my Media Center Home Page (if you will) so I can easily see albums from (usually) the current year.  For me the most important reason for tagging is providing a variety of ways of build lists of things to play.  With that in mind, I am always changing the year to reflect the song or albums original release date, even if it is part of a new release.  I realize this would not be the purist option.  So example, I would not want the Woodstock 69 re-releases under the year 2020, but rather under the original release date.  Some might give me twenty lashes for this.  The three pre-defined date tag fields (Year, Year Album, and Date) are the same across all three fields (aside from some formatting) in my drive, without me making this so.  I tend to: 1)Not keep a duplicate track from both an original release and a re-mastered.  I sometimes make an exception if they are way different and both worthy, and 2)  Put the "remastered" label as part of the album name, if that is what it is.  But mostly I'm lazy and my files are a mess!

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Tagging compliations
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 02:47:53 pm »

...With that in mind, I am always changing the year to reflect the song or albums original release date, even if it is part of a new release....

That's pretty much what I settled on.  As with you, I don't stress out trying to get it all exactly so.  It's a guideline, not a dictum.

Now I have a backlog of compilation albums to update.  :)

Thanks for your comment.

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones
Pages: [1]   Go Up