INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashes with video  (Read 1121 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Crashes with video
« on: August 03, 2021, 01:51:45 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying MC28 on an M1 Macbook Pro.  It crashes when playing video when I resize the window.  I've only tested short clips like the trailer for I Am Legend (it's a demo video for H.264).

My M1 is connected to a DisplayLink enabled dock.  So it's using two software driven monitors from this Dock.  However, it does the same thing when I use MC28 on the built in laptop display.  So it may or may not be related to the DisplayLink dock/monitors.

Log file attached.

Thanks for looking,
Brian.

blgentry

Re: Crashes with video
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 01:08:39 pm »

I did a little further testing:

Unplugged the dock entirely and ran the test only on the laptop screen.  Still crashes when resizing.
Then I got the idea that the software "Displaylink Manager", which allows the external screens to work, might be the problem.  So I quit that application and then tried again.  Unfortunately this didn't change anything; still crashes when resizing while playing video.

Initially I thought that lots of operations were crashing it, like opening playlists and things.  But I didn't document or reproduce this, so I'll keep my eye out and report back if I find other behaviors that reliably crash MC28 on M1 hardware.

I'm running the latest build, which is 28.0.46 (silicon) right now.

Thanks,
Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 04:00:48 pm »

Can you post the Apple crash report as well?
(I need to talk to Bob again about including it in the log package)

For video specifically, we're working on some big changes to improve the experience overall. But if crashes happen independent of that, definitely also report those
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 01:54:37 pm »

I did a little further testing:

Unplugged the dock entirely and ran the test only on the laptop screen.  Still crashes when resizing.
Then I got the idea that the software "Displaylink Manager", which allows the external screens to work, might be the problem.  So I quit that application and then tried again.  Unfortunately this didn't change anything; still crashes when resizing while playing video.

Initially I thought that lots of operations were crashing it, like opening playlists and things.  But I didn't document or reproduce this, so I'll keep my eye out and report back if I find other behaviors that reliably crash MC28 on M1 hardware.

I'm running the latest build, which is 28.0.46 (silicon) right now.

Thanks,
Brian.
Would you try the latest build? 28.0.48.
I made some experimental internal UI changes in it.
It also adds more logging in this area that could be useful if it still crashes. Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 10:05:55 am »

Can you post the Apple crash report as well?

Man, I'm so sorry I forgot to do this until just now.  Attached is the OS crash report.

Thanks,
Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 10:06:22 am »

Would you try the latest build? 28.0.48.
I made some experimental internal UI changes in it.
It also adds more logging in this area that could be useful if it still crashes. Thanks.

Cool.  I'll go grab it now and do some testing.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 10:11:01 am »

Unfortunately it still crashes when resizing video.  I'm attaching the latest JRiver log, which I hope contains all the info you need.

Thanks,
Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 10:55:28 am »

The next update should have some changes to try to prevent this issue. However we were not able to reproduce it, so let us know how it goes!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 12:35:58 pm »

Build 50 is up, would you try it please?
Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 01:26:10 pm »

Build 50 seems to have fixed the crash when resizing.  :)

I got it to crash again several times by clicking in the left hand navigation/tree area.  In particular clicking on Playlists (not the down arrow, but the word itself).  I did this several times in a row.  But I tried it again and was unable to make it crash.  Very weird.

Seems more stable now for sure.  If I come up with anything I can reproduce at will I'll report.

Thanks for the fix!

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 02:08:29 pm »

Build 50 seems to have fixed the crash when resizing.  :)

I got it to crash again several times by clicking in the left hand navigation/tree area.  In particular clicking on Playlists (not the down arrow, but the word itself).  I did this several times in a row.  But I tried it again and was unable to make it crash.  Very weird.

Seems more stable now for sure.  If I come up with anything I can reproduce at will I'll report.

Thanks for the fix!

Brian.
If you still have the log from when it crashed that would be useful. I'm logging background UI events now that can be an issue.
Thanks.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 07:48:47 am »

Will do.
Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2021, 02:12:23 pm »

Ok, got it to crash again by clicking on Playlists.  It seems to be something like:  If you are playing something *and* you have not clicked on playlists yet, it will crash.  However, if you click on playlists with it stopped, and then play something, and click on playlists again, it is fine.  Very strange.

Log file attached.

Video seems to frequently start sized much bigger than the display size.  Toggling back and forth between full screen (Display View) and normal sets the right size.

Thanks,
Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up