INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vinyl Ripping (Copying)  (Read 1280 times)

sawtooth12

• Recent member
  • The corporate beast is always hungry for more
Vinyl Ripping (Copying)
« on: January 15, 2003, 04:55:57 am »

Anything to make this easier I'd appreciate!

1. MJ8: the automatic splitting -- I have tried changing all variables like 'maximum recording level before split' for a day to try to optimise. No luck... swings either way from not cutting track to ignoring altogether a gap.  I had to give up as nothing was getting done or I'd have to redo.

2. I for some reason do not get to see the level meters before capture through the SB Live! like I do in say Nero's WaveEdit, only when recording. Not good enough.

Onto 'Media Editor'...

1. When adding a 'Normalisation' effect to an audio waveform, the screen goes white and only the progress bar is seen. It refreshes AFTER the effect is applied. I then can't compare the before and after waveform unless I undo, but then can't redo again. I wan't to see the difference before and after as it's applying / after applying effect. Why the white screen? Running low of resources?

2. Scrollbar problem. I capture 30 mins to an hour at once.  You scroll across only for the progress bar bottom to snap back to the beginning. What this means is I cannot access further than a certain percentage of the track.

3. Why when you apply 'normalise' etc, does it 'save undo data'.... this is a long process to wait through. Is it saving a copy to the HD for reversion if needed?

4. Media Editor needs to be more 'hardcore'. The length of time taken on my 2Ghz P4 with 7200Rpm Seagate HD to open a 30 minute track is too slow. Some speed boost is IMHO needed.
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design
http://www.fusion01.com/
freelance web design & development

sawtooth12

• Recent member
Re: Vinyl Ripping (Copying)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 04:57:29 am »

One other mention, it cannot be the old excuse companies give me of 'video drivers'. I have a Geforce 4 TI 4200 with drivers from December 2002. Brand new. Running with XP Prof I'd think this to be a very small element of possible error.
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 07:02:54 am »

(This is intended to be constructive, since otherwise I'm delighted with MC.)

Same comment as Sawtooth 12 re automatic splitter. Doesn't work very precisely.

Ripped a clean LP last night, little or no background noise, MC Media Editor merged several tracks. Yet when I went to the PolderBits Editing tool, the waveform showed a distinct break of several seconds duration, and I was able to segment the tracks quite easily. The AudioCleaning Lab track-splitter also gives more accurate splits.

BTW, same general comment re Media Editor.

HTH

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 08:08:39 am »

fusion > The length of time taken on my 2Ghz P4 with 7200Rpm Seagate HD to open a 30 minute track is too slow. Some speed boost is IMHO needed.

A decompressed 30 minute audio file is something like 300MB, which is a large file for any machine to manipulate. I assume your original file is a compressed mp3 or ogg, which Media Editor has to decompress. For mp3's, try MP3Cut which doesn't need decompressed files. ME is as fast as any other editor I've used.

10-27

edit > reread...OK, they're wav's. For the sake of speed you may want to crush them down (as an mp3), then use MP3Cut

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 08:48:26 am »

Same comment as Sawtooth 12 re automatic splitter. Doesn't work very precisely.

Yes ,i agree.
But now you can enter time of the songs instead of using automatic split.
I assume that around 90%+ lps have time of the songs on it

sawtooth12

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 09:29:18 am »

Yeah, re other comments, the files I'm opening are WAV's in Media Editor... they take ages, especially a 1 hour recording, but yeah, I suppose it is a large file for an app to deal with so fair enough. Just that if the automatic splitter was BETTER, I'd not have to add a whole additional list of processes to get great output.

As far as entering the time before a split I sure have not seen this, it would be a good option (MJ9?)... ALL of my vinyls do not have track times, I am ripping 700+ 12" mixes but I could sample and view in/out points and then set the time for automatic extraction... makes sense.

As far as 'AudioCleaning Lab' I am going to look into it - thanks for the lead.

What I ultimately want to do is:

1. Set MJ to record and automatically slice the tracks.
2. Normalise the audio and then MP3 VBR it afterwards.
3. Delete the WAV file.

It does points two and three comendably... but take out point one and you have other apps to work with for capture and manual track splitting etc, a headache.
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design

sawtooth12

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 09:33:47 am »

By the way, can anyone help with good multitrack WAV HD audio software?

I would like to have like 4 tracks avail at least where I can manually mix them together.

I would also like to be able to have multiple documents open at once, which Media Editor and WaveEdit (Nero) do not allow. Then I could cut a section and paste it into a new document. Right now ME does not support this, you need to 'save or quit without save'. At least it can 'save the selection to disk'... a lifesaver - if only the darn scrollbar issue was fixed, then it would be applicable!

Any help out there...? Anyone use SoundEdit 16 by Macromedia for the Mac back in '95? Used to do all of this and more...!
--------------------
andrew
fusion.01 design
Pages: [1]   Go Up