INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linux Mint version 28 help needed  (Read 843 times)

Ragebox1

• Recent member
Linux Mint version 28 help needed
« on: August 14, 2021, 02:55:29 pm »

Hi 

I've used JRiver for years but just built my own dedicated fanless music server just for music playback.

I've installed Linux Mint and JRiver 28 for linux

all working great but why is the volume output so low compared to windows?
I have to play on 80/100 to be same as about 55/100 on my windows laptop - same dac etc.
any advice appreciated

Thanks

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Re: Linux Mint version 28 help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 04:05:23 pm »

I just ran into something similar.  There are TWO (2) volume output sliders - one at the upper left of the MC app window (speaker icon) *and* one on your actual Linux install in the bottom right of the task bar (speaker icon).  Linux Mint here too...and just working my way through a VERY STEEP learning curve...
THAT's what I'm talking about.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 08:29:14 am »

If your soundcard has a high/low gain setting that might be your problem as itīs gonna default to low gain. You can change this using alsamixer.

EDIT: Just realized I posted a german link. Didnīt really find a very good english one quickly. Anyways, should be easy to install (proabably is installed already) there are guis for it, but otherwise it is a very gui like console application, you get to by typing alsamixer into the terminal.

Ragebox1

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 12:14:56 pm »

Thanks for replying, I've found the other slider but when I set jriver for system volume it makes no difference.

I'll try the alsamixer
Do you have any instructions

Regards

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 01:21:44 pm »

Thanks for replying, I've found the other slider but when I set jriver for system volume it makes no difference.

I'll try the alsamixer
Do you have any instructions

Regards

Open a terminal and type alsamixer. Press f6 to select your sound card/dac (arrow keys, enter). Then you should see something similar to the attached image. The options that says Headphone (or headphone impedance at the top where it's not cut off) is the gain. Use j or - to decrease k or + to increase that when it's selected. The option might be named differently for you, since this is a soundcard that's ment for headphone use specifically, it's called "Headphones Impedance". Look threw all the settings and see if you find something useful.

I have dacs/amps that don't have this setting. Or instead have a physical switch to change this. There is no guarantee you have it. But if you do it can change volume dramatically.

Though, since you said "same dac etc." probably you do not have this setting. Since when you have an external standalone dac connected to an amp I don't think there is any way this could be a setting controlled from software.

Ragebox1

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 06:31:06 pm »

Thanks for taking the time very useful and educational as I'm lost with Linux
Pages: [1]   Go Up