INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import and Duplicates  (Read 713 times)

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
Auto Import and Duplicates
« on: August 14, 2021, 04:02:45 pm »

Hi -

I'm converting from Win to Linux and have successfully imported 69k out of ~71k audio tracks into my library.  I figured I'd let MC auto-import the full directory again to pick up whatever files were missed in the library conversion process...following the instructions here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

However, I stopped the process when Auto Import had passed 5k imported tracks (it should have stopped somewhere around 2k).  Now, I've got a mess with LOTS of duplicate files.  Yes, I created a library backup so I could revert back to the semi-correct 69k track state, but the question remains:  how can I scan a directory and only add files that MC does not already know about?  There has got to be an easy way to accomplish this that I'm just not getting.  Or, should Auto Import have an option that tells it to skip files that it already knows about?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Auto Import and Duplicates
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 04:22:32 pm »

Import will only pull a new copy if the filename differs in some way.  Hopefully you can see it by looking at the filename column.  You can use a smartlist to find the unwanted tracks and remove them from the library.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Auto Import and Duplicates
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 07:12:09 pm »

So if you backed up your windows library and then restored it on Linux, the library will have all the entries pointing to the wrong paths because the file paths will be different due to the change in OS.  In that case I would expect all your files to get reimported once (and the old files removed if you've enabled that option), so you'd have exactly one duplicate of everything or no duplicates once the "broken links" are removed.

If you are getting multiple imports of the same files every time import runs, or if you manually fixed the file paths using the rename, move, copy tool and are still getting duplicate imports, a few people have fixed that issue by fixing the Platform.jmd file (Close JRiver and edit the Platform.jmd file under your JRiver library directory so that it says Linux rather than Windows).  See these threads for details:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128397.msg890849.html#msg890849
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123748.0.html

It's a weird little quirk of moving from Windows to Linux but once you've fixed the platform, you shouldn't see any duplicate imports.  The first thread I linked has a step by step migration guide that might help with other issues too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up