INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SDR+HDR=Okay... HDR+SDR=?!?!?  (Read 2443 times)

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
SDR+HDR=Okay... HDR+SDR=?!?!?
« on: August 14, 2021, 09:25:21 pm »

Hi there,

Since June, I was able to use JRiver with MadVR to watch both SDR and HDR movies without issue on my new laptop (AMD 5800H CPU, RTX 3060 GPU, 16gb RAM)... watching on my LG CX tv, switching back and forth between SDR & HDR content was no problem.  That is until 2 weeks ago, when I turned on my computer and JRiver said my licence had expired, and told me to enter a new license key!  How odd, I thought... but got myself a new JRiver 26 license key to enter, and I was up and running again.  However, from that moment on, something had changed.  If I watch SDR content... and then change to HDR content, everything is as before - no problem.  But if I watch ANY HDR content at any point, then forever more, if I try watching SDR content, it will play with it's colours all blown out!  Like, i'll be watching a heavily banded, posterized, crazy colour video output.  HDR content will still play fine if I switch back... but SDR will continue being f'd up until I restart JRiver.

So, my main MadVR setting for my TV are:
RGB Output:  PC Levels (0-255)
Passthrough HDR to Display + Send HDR metadata to display
Most of the other settings are at default, or wouldn't likely have any affect on SDR/HDR content.

I've tried both Let madVR Decide (HDR), and Tone map HDR using Pixel Shader (w both on/off Output video in HDR format)... so that's not the issue.

The only Windows/Driver updates around the time that this problem started, was a Realtek audio driver update... that's it.   So then... what changed?  Just... I got booted from my JRiver license for a day, and then THIS!

Anyone know what might be the issue?

Thanks!

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
Re: SDR+HDR=Okay... HDR+SDR=?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 09:47:09 pm »

To be fair, I wouldn't have tried playing any HDR content for at least the 4 days prior to being booted out of JRiver license, to be able to see if that caused an issue for SDR content or not... as I had been visiting my parents for the 4 days prior.   But the laptop WAS with me being used for SDR-only content during that period, and experienced no JRiver license issues.  It was the day I got home, the license was a problem, and I 1st noticed the HDR>SDR problems.

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 11:50:18 pm »

HDR getting stuck after watching HDR movies with madVR is a known issue with some video drivers.

It was mentioned somewhere in this forum that using BACK instead of STOP comnand to stop playing movies resolve this in somr cases.

See https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013 for detail video driver issues with MadVR

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 01:32:57 pm »

Thanks Tij.  Actually, I did come across that string yesterday, before posting.  There's a LOT there... so I just looked over some of the beginning and end stuff, and didn't see anything referencing the kind of blown-out colouring that I see.  Not sure what others in that string are actually seeing... if it's maybe more a muted colour thing, like when trying to show HDR content on a non-HDR display.  Also... my drivers had worked without issue, before I got booted from my JRiver license... and, though there has since been a Windows update, there still hasn't been any change to my display drivers since the time everything worked perfectly - so, the question is, what changed?    So... I guess, that link you sent... i wasn't sure if it indeed applies to me or not.  I'll take a closer look at more of it's contents, though... thanks.

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 03:03:41 pm »

Also... i don't get it.  That PDF in the link you sent... it shows ALL the Nvidia drivers over the last several years (375.x to 471.x)... but everywhere I look, I see that my Nvidia driver is 27.21.14.6681.   So... it's from, like, decades ago!?!  I don't think so.  Why is my driver 444 versions older?

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 04:44:33 pm »

Ohhhh... i see!  The 'driver version' is NOT really the same, depending on where you look.   
If I am in my Device Manager, it is NVidia driver version 27.21.14.6691... but if I go to Uninstall programs, I can see a DIFFERENT(same?!?!) Nvidia driver version 466.81.   Wow... that's unintuitive!

Well... I've updated the driver(s), and am now using Nvidia drivers 30.0.14.7168 & 471.68.  (shrugs)  Problem persists.

MediaMongrel

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 04:54:35 pm »

HDR getting stuck after watching HDR movies with madVR is a known issue with some video drivers.

It was mentioned somewhere in this forum that using BACK instead of STOP comnand to stop playing movies resolve this in somr cases.

See https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013 for detail video driver issues with MadVR

At least in my theatre view experience, using the back button (taking me back to my video library), rather than hitting 'stop', will have the following effect:   The movie will continue to play (in this case, referring to the screwed up SDR movie)... and in my theatre view, I can still see it playing in a small peek-a-boo window, within the overall movie card/info being displayed... and yes, I see the wee video is being shown in NORMAL colours... but as soon as I hit enter and make the SDR movie full screen again, it's back to the overblown colour palette where all things are oversaturated and overly bright/glaring.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 02:16:59 am »

Just to be clear that you understand the problem.

Normally windows is in SDR. When we use MadVR to send HDR metadata to TV (HDR passthtough ... basically let TV do tone mapping), MadVR tells NVidia to go HDR mode. When movie is stopped, MadVR tells NVidia card to return to SDR.

Problem with some drivers ... NVidia fails to get out of HDR mode ... causing everything to be oversaturated.

I have not used HDR passthrough in ages ... as MadVR tone mapping is superb ... even being so old.

Will try to replicate your problem tonight.

Also ... what version of Windows are you running (type winver in command line)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

rec head

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 08:01:31 am »

As I've said in a bunch of threads now, I have the same problem and it is usually solved by the Back button instead of the Stop button. That is unless it is the opposite. Weird but different drivers behave differently. It is usually caused by a Windows update because if everything is working I don't touch my video driver.

The movie continuing to play when you hit Back has to be a MC setting but I don't know which one. When I hit Back (in Theater View) it goes to the list of movies and nothing is playing. I would look into that setting and then try the Back/Stop trick to see if one works.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 07:50:10 am »

this is reported to be fixed with the latest time-limited madVR release. I did try one of those releases but it didn't work well with Media Center.  they are more or less development releases for testing new features.  they expire after a few months and then you have to download the next one.  Not sure if/when Madshi will create a formal stable release for those not using his new "Envy" product, which ultimately seems like a high-end PC running madVR for several thousands of dollars.

I can live with the stuck HDR
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 12:37:54 pm »

Thank goodness JRVR is on the horizon. It never sat well with me that this bug started happening right around the time madVR moved to timeout builds.

rec head

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 03:28:13 pm »

I've had these issues on and off for years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up