INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless streaming/volume levelling wirelessly  (Read 2218 times)

crisp

• World Citizen
Gapless streaming/volume levelling wirelessly
« on: July 25, 2021, 11:21:48 am »

I'm streaming music via JRiver to a Naim Muso QB. I have gapless playback/do not play silence and volume levelling set but it isn't working when streaming to the QB. I've looked on the forum and wiki with no success.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gapless streaming/volume levelling wirelessly
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 07:17:11 pm »

I'm streaming music via JRiver to a Naim Muso QB. I have gapless playback/do not play silence and volume levelling set but it isn't working when streaming to the QB. I've looked on the forum and wiki with no success.

I have no trouble playing gapless to my Qb. I don't use volume leveling so I can't comment there.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 05:00:32 am »

Do you know how you are managing to do it?

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 07:34:57 am »

Do you know how you are managing to do it?

I associated it with a DLNA Server configured to convert everything to 24-bit PCM at either 44.1kHz or 48kHz (based on whether the input frequency is a multiple of 44.1 or 48). I can't be certain that's why gapless is working, as it's been that way for many years.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 12:45:34 pm »

Could you give me a bit more info please? What steps in JRiver did you follow to do that?

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 01:44:17 pm »

I'm sorry, at first I thought your question was about the Qb in particular, and I didn't notice that you're using the Mac version of MC. I'm using the Windows version, so my experience may not apply. But here goes:

Tools | Options
Select Media Network, then "Add or configure DNLA servers"
Click Add and then select "Audiophile 24-bit DAC"

Change the Audio mode to Specified output format
Format: PCM 24-bit
Click Advanced, then select DSP Studio
Make sure Output Format on the left is checked, then change the Output column to 44,100 Hz or 48,000 Hz for each input, as appropriate

After submitting/closing, find your Mu-so Qb in the Playing Now tree on the left
Right-click and select Associate with DLNA server, then select the Audiophile 24-bit DAC

You should probably restart Media Center at that point. If that doesn't help then I apologize for jumping in on a Mac topic with advice from the Windows product.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 02:47:36 pm »

Thanks very much. I'll try this. One question, though: "change the Output column to 44,100 Hz or 48,000 Hz for each input, as appropriate" -- how can I tell which is appropriate?

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 02:57:02 pm »

Thanks very much. I'll try this. One question, though: "change the Output column to 44,100 Hz or 48,000 Hz for each input, as appropriate" -- how can I tell which is appropriate?

When the input is a multiple of 44.1 (eg 88.2, 176.4, 352.8) use 44.1 for the output. When the input is a multiple of 48 (eg 96, 192, 384) use 48.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 04:19:59 pm »

That's great. Thanks very much. I think that's fixed the volume levelling, although I wonder if the "volume levelling" box should be ticked. In any case, if I do that it says "playback stopped or current playback doesn't support processing". I guess what you instructed above is a workaround for that?

The gapless playback OTOH still isn't enabled. In Tools > Options > Audio my set up is like the screengrab below. I can't see anything equivalent in the DSP Studio to set that up for "Audiophile 24-bit DAC".

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 06:11:57 pm »

There's no theoretical benefit to using memory playback when playing to a DLNA device, so change to no memory playback. I'm using SoX for resampling, but I don't think that would impact your problem.

Volume leveling would be set in DSP Studio for the Audiophile 24-bit DAC in the Add or configure DLNA servers of the Media Network section.

What are your source files? And are you sure you're using DLNA and not Bluetooth? The Qb can definitely handle 44.1 and 48 kHz over WiFi, but Bluetooth is 48 kHz only, I believe. You should not be seeing that error message if you're playing to the Qb over WiFi.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »

Looks like it works -- playback is gapless and volume is levelled. Thank you so much DJLegba, I really appreciate your help.

crisp

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 07:16:59 am »

Just bumping this one up. Mystifyingly JRiver has wiped out my settings and I'm trying to replicate the above. Problem is, when I go to "associate with dlna server" it offers me a greyed-out message that reads "only one server used by default".

Anyone know how I can fix this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up