INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 28 for Mac - Audio Library still shows music files after deleted  (Read 835 times)

rbmjr

• World Citizen

I have a process that I have been following for years on Windows that doesn't work the same way on the Mac. My process is, after reviewing (tagging, rating) music in my New Music library, I sweep the reviewed files into their permanent folders. I then go back and run Library Import. On Windows, running the Library Import on a basically empty Windows folder (just *.jmd's remaining) will clear the library and present me with a New Music folder that is empty.

However, on the Mac, running Library Import after sweeping the music files into their permanent folders results in the music files still showing in the Audio lists even though I have verified that the Mac folder containing them is empty. I tried clearing the library then reimporting and that had no effect either. See attachment. What am I doing wrong?

rbmjr

• World Citizen

Found the problem with the import feature in MC it needs to be able to EXCLUDE files and folders from importing. While it has a check box for "ignore special files (folders, jpg, etc.)" that exclude needs to be editable by the user. What I found is that my synchronization program that is keeping my Windows music libraries synced to the Mac music libraries creates a hidden folder called _gsdata_. Within that folder there is a subfolder called _saved_. During synchronization file changes are recorded in both _gsdata_ and _saved_. Apparently _saved_ includes a copy of any image or audio file that the synchronization program worked on and since my folder organization includes subfolders the import brings back all the stuff it finds in the _saved_ folder during import.

Could you please let us add our own items to the "ignore special files (folder .jpg, etc.)" on import? Thanks - Rick

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 28 for Mac - Audio Library still shows music files after deleted
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 10:09:53 am »

It looks like you are putting your MC database files in the same folder as your temporary import folder.  This is not recommended. 

If you want to have a temporary area to import files, that's no problem.  Just make it a different place than your database folder. 

Brian.

rbmjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 01:20:13 pm »

I don't understand how Media Center could manage the files in the "Music New" folder if the "Music New" folder wasn't a library folder.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 07:43:45 am »

JRiver uses the word "Library" to mean "Database" mostly.  But they also mean "the music folders and files".

The database files should always be in their own folder, all by themselves.  Music (or other media) should be in a separate folder, or folders.  You can control what is auto imported by setting up one or more folders in the auto import area:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import

I'm not sure what your "sweeping" process is, but I suspect this is part of the issue.  If you let MC import files from a particular folder (new music) and then manually move them (with an external program or process), MC will lose track of them.  You can kinda fix that with the "fix broken links" option.  But what you really want to do is to have MC move the files and folders for you.  The Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool can make this very easy.

But I suspect that I'm probably asking you to change too many things about your process, all at once.  If you are interested, I can try to help some.  If not, I will just wish you good luck with your old process.

Take care,
Brian.

rbmjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2021, 02:40:58 pm »

Obviously the Library folder as a Database repository wasn't clear to me. Apparently I have placed both the music and the database in the same folder. Not sure what will happen if I delete the Library. I assume it will not remove any of the music that resides there, just the .jmd files etc.

On the synchronization issue. GoodSync, the program I am using to keep my PC and Mac folders synchronized provided an answer the other day that I believe will solve my problem of duplicate entries. Apparently by default, the program creates a folder called _gsdata_ and a subfolder called _saved_ by default. When the synchronization occurs information about what was done gets saved into the _gsdata_ folder and copies of the added updated and deleted files get stored in the _saved_ folder for recovery purposes. There is a setting in the program that will stop GoodSync from storing recovery copies of the data. I will be testing that soon and am hopeful that it will solve my duplicates on import issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up