INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 28 on Ubuntu 21.04 video playback problem  (Read 1182 times)

branty1970

• Recent member
Media Center 28 on Ubuntu 21.04 video playback problem
« on: August 21, 2021, 02:49:50 am »

Hi,

I'm a long time user of J River but a newbie to Linux. So any help you can offer needs to assume that I don't really know Linux at all!

I have three computers all running Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo) and all have Media Center 28 installed with the Master License. Two of my computers work perfectly and do everything I ask of them. The third however won't play video files in MC28. I can listen to audio, but video of any sort causes Media Center to pop up a window titled 'Playback Problem' and the message 'Something went wrong with playback'.

However, if I go to the file system and double click one of the video files, it opens and plays in VLC. This suggests that the problem is with MC28.

My computer is a Lenovo h520s. Video file formats vary from MKV, AVI, MP4 and others (all of which play in VLC).

Can anyone cast some light on this for me?

Thanks,
Martin

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Center 28 on Ubuntu 21.04 video playback problem
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 08:29:44 am »

What are the different video hardware on the machines you are using?
MC requires a certain level of openGL support (you can turn logging on and try to play something and attach a log here).

Ekpen

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 10:12:19 pm »

MC requires a certain level of openGL support (you can turn logging on and try to play something and attach a log here).
Greeting:
I have been getting this error opengl since 28.05,when i used Galaxy theme and skin in theater view.
My graphic card is rtx 20
80ti, update the driver.
The only way to avoid this error is not to load theater view.
I sent you a log sometime in july.
error shows its ugly head when I click ope mc with dedicated graphic card.
George.

branty1970

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 04:18:44 am »

I've had a look and I think my computer is using OpenGL version 3.0 (I ran the command: glxinfo | grep "version").
The hardware my computer is running is Intel HD Graphics 2000.

Can anyone suggest if this is the problem? What versions does MC require and what, if anything, can be done to 'upgrade' without getting a new graphics card?

Thanks

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 04:54:31 am »

Can you make a log from MC? That will tell us what MC thinks might be missing, and we have a clearer picture for the future.

The current video renderer is a bit limited in compatibility with older hardware.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up