INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Won't Recognize Blank CD In Drive - Can't Burn  (Read 1482 times)

donlboy

• World Citizen
Won't Recognize Blank CD In Drive - Can't Burn
« on: August 23, 2021, 11:58:30 am »

MC 27.0.85 64 Bit. I get this same performance on two different Win 10 machines. MC recognizes the drives (internal drive on one PC, external drive on the other) and plays both commercial and home-burned CDs fine. Also rips just fine. But when I try to burn a disc the blank disc is not recognized and I get the message "There is no disc. Insert a disc and double click to refresh." I get the same result with two different brands of discs, either CR-R or CD-RW. Same with DVDs. Other apps such as CyberLink Power2Go and Windows Media Player on one PC and Audacity and Foobar2000 on the other all recognize the blank discs, and Power2Go and WMP both burn without a problem. MC plays these burned discs OK.

I have tried the usual uninstall/reinstall the disc drive/drivers, check for firmware updates for the drives, etc. to no avail. One of the PCs has been running MC for several years through multiple versions, the other PC is brand new. I don't know when the older one started having this issue, I only tried it when the new one wouldn't work, so it may relate to the current MC software version or the current Win 10 version (or neither). I have run IngBurn Filter Driver Load Order on both PCs and there are no Upper or Lower filters on either one, it just finds "CD/DVD-ROM Device."

I have found a few old discussions of this problem and have tried all of the fixes that I cold, no help. Since it is on two totally different PCs with different disc drives but with the same OS version and same MC version it seems likely a software issue. Any help/advice is appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam

donlboy

• World Citizen
Re: Won't Recognize Blank CD In Drive - Can't Burn
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 03:10:10 pm »

Your link took me to a long list of problems that were apparently Windows related. I didn't look into every one, but I didn't find any that came close to addressing my problem, and I couldn't see any obvious commonality. Is your "Probably Windows" response based on this list, or do you have other reasons it is likely Windows and not MC? I thought the fact that every other disk-related program that I have on two different PCs recognized blank disks and successfully burned them might point to something that was unique to MC. Do you have any other ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 04:24:41 pm »

The first link was for a CD ripping problem caused by a Windows update.  Worth reading.

You also should configure Windows Defender.

This is not a problem with JRiver.

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 05:13:12 pm »

I had looked at that link but didn't pursue since my system rips perfectly. I did update one PC to Build 21H1 after I got your response but see no change.

I configured Windows Defender some time ago per your Taming Windows Defender instructions.

Is something different/unique about how MC recognizes a blank disc in a drive versus how the other programs I mentioned do? It seems there must be a clue in that whether the problem is in MC or the OS. It's clearly not hardware.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 05:24:25 pm »

Try reading the link on CD ripping.  It should take you to Microsoft.

Double check Windows Defender.  Don't run other antivirus software.

donlboy

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 07:32:15 am »

I already read the link on CD ripping top to bottom. That is why I updated one of the PCs to Build 21H1, since that fixed one of the ripping problems. None of the other issues/fixes there seem remotely relevant.

I have verified Defender settings, configuration, exclusions, etc. I do not have any other AV software installed.

It seems that I am spinning my wheels in a pretty tight circle here. I hope you or someone can point me to something else to look into.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 10:59:35 am »

I have not burn disks for ages ... but i do recall Autoplay can cause this

Try turning Autoplay off for your burner drive
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up