INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming Audio Over Wifi and Cell Networks  (Read 1276 times)

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
Streaming Audio Over Wifi and Cell Networks
« on: August 05, 2021, 04:44:27 am »

Not sure if it was just a one-time thing but JRemote seemed not to understand switching from wifi to cellular data. I had to restart the application for it to be able to stream the tracks again. iOS 14.6

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming Audio Over Wifi and Cell Networks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 09:57:00 am »

Not sure if it was just a one-time thing but JRemote seemed not to understand switching from wifi to cellular data. I had to restart the application for it to be able to stream the tracks again. iOS 14.6
I'm pretty certain it's never been able to do that on the fly.
You should just be able to go into settings and re-connect to the server instead of starting over.

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 05:07:59 pm »

Thanks for the help. Also been wondering, I recall some discussion about remote streaming not reaching the potential upload speed of your connection. I seem to also have that issue where I experience buffering on high res audio files even if i have 50mbit upload and have 100+stable download on my LTE which is from the same ISP, was there any solutions to this?

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 04:30:44 pm »

No matter what I do i get very laggy/buffering audio on high res audio despite having 50mbit upload on my home connection and 75+ down on my phone, if i made the right calculations even if it was uncompressed 96/24 pcm it would still only be around 4.6 mbps which is less than 1/10 of the speed needed for it to work, does anyone have any suggestions?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 09:25:26 am »

No matter what I do i get very laggy/buffering audio on high res audio despite having 50mbit upload on my home connection and 75+ down on my phone, if i made the right calculations even if it was uncompressed 96/24 pcm it would still only be around 4.6 mbps which is less than 1/10 of the speed needed for it to work, does anyone have any suggestions?
Since it works fine on your LAN there must be something about how the data passed through the cell network. JRemote doesn't do anything different based on whether the connection is a LAN connection or WAN connection.
Download tests over the cell net aren't very useful in this case, there are plenty of operators that take that info into account and provide short bursts of high speed to make a connection look good. There are also lots of QOS operations going on for various services.
It's possible that the connection on port 52199 simply isn't allowed full bandwidth.
If you aren't running a webserver on your home connection you might try changing the forward on your router to go from port 80 to port 52199 on your MC PC and add a server via IP address and port in JRemote to see if that makes any difference.
Of course make sure you have a strong login/password for any remote access.

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 04:24:13 pm »

Since it works fine on your LAN there must be something about how the data passed through the cell network. JRemote doesn't do anything different based on whether the connection is a LAN connection or WAN connection.
Download tests over the cell net aren't very useful in this case, there are plenty of operators that take that info into account and provide short bursts of high speed to make a connection look good. There are also lots of QOS operations going on for various services.
It's possible that the connection on port 52199 simply isn't allowed full bandwidth.
If you aren't running a webserver on your home connection you might try changing the forward on your router to go from port 80 to port 52199 on your MC PC and add a server via IP address and port in JRemote to see if that makes any difference.
Of course make sure you have a strong login/password for any remote access.
I've done several hours of experimenting, and I am more confused than when I started.

Briefly, it is not MC doing this, the same is happening to my PLEX. My server computer is the only one having this issue, if I stream media files from any of my other machines it being windows or mac I get above half of my theoretical upload speed of my home connection even over LTE to my phone, but that specific server MC is running on seems to cap the speed specifically at 2.0Mb/s, but I noticed I managed to barely realtime stream 96/24 when connected to a wifi at a hospital today so something is for sure the issue with my ISP in addition.

But here's one of the many things that are weird: Upload from MC to LTE seems to cap at 2.0Mb/s, to a home connection 3 - 4 Mb/s ish, and when downloading using filezilla all my tasks caps at 1.3MiB/s, and tried to upload a file to a friend's FTP server from my own server and it also capped at 1.3MiB/s, and downloading from a test FTP on chrome seems to cap at 2.0MB/s, but I get 30+ on my other machines on the exact same file. I've changed all kinds of settings on the network adapter, jumbo frames, power saving features, I've tested every single one one by one following guides, including trying another network card entirely. I've turned on and off firewall as well. I got hold of the latest intel drivers for the card too, no change. I've experimented with QoS settings on my router, all machines are running @ 1GbE between eachother. Just to add, I'm not disk read/write limited either.

Yet to test: USB tethering the server and see if i can rule out my router somehow discriminating that machine in particular, boot linux from a pen without installing and rule out my windows 7 install having an issue, being misconfigured a spot I have overlooked or if I am CPU/hardware limited in any way. (i-7 4790k, ddr3 2133mhz) I have the exact same network adapter on my gaming windows machine and that computer has no issues with FTP or MC speeds.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 05:16:06 pm »

I've done several hours of experimenting, and I am more confused than when I started.

Briefly, it is not MC doing this, the same is happening to my PLEX. My server computer is the only one having this issue, if I stream media files from any of my other machines it being windows or mac I get above half of my theoretical upload speed of my home connection even over LTE to my phone, but that specific server MC is running on seems to cap the speed specifically at 2.0Mb/s, but I noticed I managed to barely realtime stream 96/24 when connected to a wifi at a hospital today so something is for sure the issue with my ISP in addition.

But here's one of the many things that are weird: Upload from MC to LTE seems to cap at 2.0Mb/s, to a home connection 3 - 4 Mb/s ish, and when downloading using filezilla all my tasks caps at 1.3MiB/s, and tried to upload a file to a friend's FTP server from my own server and it also capped at 1.3MiB/s, and downloading from a test FTP on chrome seems to cap at 2.0MB/s, but I get 30+ on my other machines on the exact same file. I've changed all kinds of settings on the network adapter, jumbo frames, power saving features, I've tested every single one one by one following guides, including trying another network card entirely. I've turned on and off firewall as well. I got hold of the latest intel drivers for the card too, no change. I've experimented with QoS settings on my router, all machines are running @ 1GbE between eachother. Just to add, I'm not disk read/write limited either.

Yet to test: USB tethering the server and see if i can rule out my router somehow discriminating that machine in particular, boot linux from a pen without installing and rule out my windows 7 install having an issue, being misconfigured a spot I have overlooked or if I am CPU/hardware limited in any way. (i-7 4790k, ddr3 2133mhz) I have the exact same network adapter on my gaming windows machine and that computer has no issues with FTP or MC speeds.
Is it windows 7 HOME or Pro?

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 05:24:33 pm »

Is it windows 7 HOME or Pro?
W7 Ultimate, also forgot to mention but p2p works like normal on this machine without any bandwidth issues

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 05:50:46 pm »

W7 Ultimate, also forgot to mention but p2p works like normal on this machine without any bandwidth issues
I'm at a loss then. I did see an issue with windows 7 home before where it looked like it was limiting the bandwidth outgoing to non-lan addresses, sort of like a way microsoft was discouraging use as a server but I thought at the time it was only HOME doing it.

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 02:48:04 am »

I found a setting in gpedit.msc after your tip and I did force change the "Limit reservable bandwidth" from default 20 to 0 but still no luck. I'll try to boot linux on to it once I have the chance and see if an OS swap will fix it. Will report back once I figure out if it was just my W7 install or something else.

LilyAarseth

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 06:02:37 pm »

Small update, no matter how many settings I tweaked and messed with I could not fix the issue so I went and installed windows 10 and now everything works, loading the library on a remote computer is 10x faster as well now. I can't tell if I play a high res a file over wifi or cellular anymore so it was something misconfigured somehwere in W7 hidden so well I couldn't find it even after hours and hours of reading guides on the subject
Pages: [1]   Go Up