INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudness war - your opinion  (Read 2161 times)

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Loudness war - your opinion
« on: August 28, 2021, 04:03:48 am »

One of my CDs is partially damaged and some of the tracks cannot be accurately extracted.

I got my hand on Remastered version and able to accurately rip it. Then compared with tracks I was able to accurately extract from origial.

Well ... seems loudness war is global phenome ... can clearly see volume boost and clipping it caused.

What interest me from technical point of view ... if Remastered version was done from 24 bit - wouldn't portions of sound that does not get clipped/compressed have more details in it? ... in other words, you get more "details" in uncompressed/unclipped portion of music at expense of compression/clipping in louder portion?

Just want to hear your opinion

PS: i am hunting for the original version of my damaged CD :/ ... not easy task at streaming age

EDIT: yellow is Remastered

EDIT2: also ... your lustening levels are close to Remastered ... wouldnt boosting analogue volume of original recording also boost equipment noise levels

HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Loudness war - your opinion
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:59:52 am »

I noticed a similar thing and commented on it here, also with loudness graphs...

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,78945.msg888026.html#msg888026

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 10:03:15 am »

One of my CDs is partially damaged and some of the tracks cannot be accurately extracted.

fwiw, I have found that trying various optical drives sometimes helps get past extraction errors.

YMMV.

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 01:00:12 am »

What interest me from technical point of view ... if Remastered version was done from 24 bit - wouldn't portions of sound that does not get clipped/compressed have more details in it? ... in other words, you get more "details" in uncompressed/unclipped portion of music at expense of compression/clipping in louder portion?

While that might technically be true, such details would be 96 dB below peak volume. Not something you can really conciously pick up, but maybe it influences you unconciously.

Of course the answer is to properly dial in the volume, just below clipping, with as much detail as possible. There is no question 24-bit can carry more detail, but the question remains if you can hear it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

stanzani

• Galactic Citizen
  • Music and Audio enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 11:39:19 am »

What I think? I think it sucks. With globalization the music major are trying to make the CDs sound at their best on cheapy boomy systems limited in dynamics. I heard they also mastered hot the CD layer of some SACD to push the format and ruins Cred book reputation.
Stereo:
DAW: Fanless Case Streatcon 7 with MSI A97I mobo, 2 x 8G RAM (Hynix) with Intel I5 CPU.
NAS: QNAP TS-531 with 5x4TB HDDs
DAC/ADC: RME ADI2 PRO
Speakers (active): 2 x ATC SCM50ASL
Subs (active): 2 x REL 528 Signature

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 06:57:07 pm »

... the music major are trying to make the CDs sound at their best on cheapy boomy systems limited in dynamics.

... and your point is?

imo, the music majors have never been interested in in the quality of the sound of the media they hawk.  They want the most profit for the least cost.

I was once told by a QA manager of a major US record company that it was OK if the cassettes didn't sound good because they were only used by teenagers walking on the beach, and quality didn't matter.

Having said that, I will also say that there are many, many people in the music industry who care about the quality of the goods they proffer. (I've met and talked with them)

So it seems to boil down to a tug of war between those who want quality, and those who just want to sell merchandise and get a profit.  (in this case "merchandise" is music).

My opinion is cynical, for sure.  But how correct is it?

=shrug=

=========

Rockets71

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 11:46:43 am »

Yes! You have revealed evidence regarding this unfortunate practice (see MANY more examples here:https://dr.loudness-war.info/). Make sure you rip all of your old material ASAP, because as time goes by it will be more and more difficult to find replacements for damaged copies of pre-loudness war releases. It's a shame the bean counters get to decide what we, the listeners, are allowed to have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up