INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When does "alternative" become "pop" ?  (Read 1660 times)

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
When does "alternative" become "pop" ?
« on: September 13, 2021, 08:55:43 pm »

So when does an "alternative" artist or group become a pop artist or group?

I first heard Imagine Dragons circa 2012. on a radio station I listen to.

This video was a turning point for me.  I saw the talent...

Imagine Dragons "It's Time" Peak Performance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV4kmtJ5Ebs

At the time (2012), Imagine Dragons was an "alternative" band.  Adult alternative, but alternative nonetheless.

So....

When did the become pop, as opposed to alternative?

=========
Vinyl: Shure V15VxMR, Shure VN5MR stylus, VPI Scout turntable
Shellac: Shure M91, Shure N75-3 stylus,  Dual 1218 turntable

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

isaccasi1234

• Recent member
  • Enough Is Enough
Re: When does "alternative" become "pop" ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 12:48:01 pm »

Hi, I have another IMHO good example: Linkin Park when they made their last album(sadly) One More Light it transformed from Alternative to Pop right there, good Pop at the very least. :'(

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 08:35:08 pm »

I guess what I vexes me is that i tend to prefer "alternative" music over "pop" music.

So when a group like Imagine Dragons goes from alternative to arena, while I am very happy for their success because of the talent the have, I do see the demise of yet another "alternative" group.

Fortunately, there always seems to be more groups who are willing to challenge the music status quo.

Who knows where they will led us...

=========

Apt Holman preamp (updated), Benchmark Media ADC-1, Benchmark Media DAC-1, Carver TFM-45 power amp (updated), Original Acoustic Research AR-9 speakers (LF surrounds replaced), Sennheiser HD590 headphones

jetpacksam

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 10:16:09 am »

I understand what you meant by "pop", but maybe mainstream would be a better term?
I don't know that the term Alternative really applies anymore. as it became mainstream a while back imo.
If anything classic hard rock/metal is now the alternative because everything sounds like everything else now, at least to my ears.

SUCK GAS, EVILDOER!

antenna

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 07:02:56 pm »

... it transformed from Alternative to Pop right there, good Pop at the very least. :'(

Yup.  That is an example of what I mention.

There's a new local radio station that tags itself as ~the new alternative music station~.  The music they play I do not hear on the local pop stations.  But I wonder how long it might be before a group from the alternative station appears on the pop station?

As I mentioned regarding Imagine Dragons, I am happy when that happens, when an alternative group gets the recognition they have earned.

=========

Pages: [1]   Go Up