INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrade from v.25 to v.28  (Read 1274 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
upgrade from v.25 to v.28
« on: September 19, 2021, 05:04:58 am »

After downloading the v.28 installer file and trying to install it, a msg says, "Your license file is for a different product."

What do I need to do to fix this?

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: upgrade from v.25 to v.28
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 07:11:15 am »

You need to install MC28 first, then restore your MC28 license.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 05:34:02 pm »

Um, that is what I tried to do.
"After downloading the v.28 installer file and trying to install it…" (see my 1st post)

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 05:45:32 pm »

You need to install MC28 first, then restore your MC28 license.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Restoring_a_License
Re-read carefully.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 06:06:40 pm »

What specifically do I need to read carefully?
I downloaded the Mac installer file after getting my registration code directly from my registration codes history from your files, via email.

JJ

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 06:22:33 pm »

So then I tried to install the v.28 reg code and the program (v.25) came back with the same error code "Your license file is for a different product."

So no matter if I try and use the old reg code or the new reg code I still can't install v.28.

JJ

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 01:13:50 pm »

You don't need a license to install v28.  So install that first, then add your license.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 09:43:55 pm »

I'm not sure what the problem here is, so I'll say all of this again.

1st I downloaded my registration history so I'd use the correct Reg Code for the purchase the v.28 upgrade.  I then ran the installer file to load it on the top of v.25, which has a problem but since it isn't the latest version I opted to upgrade to the latest version (v.28).
Immediately an error window popped up saying "Your license file is for a different product."

Next I started this thread and posted here asking what can I do to resolve this situation.

I was told to carefully read the instructions which I did but I still don't know what I'm supposed to pay attention to.

I then installed the v.28 Reg Code on my v.25 copy and tried to install the v.28 and was met with the very same error message "Your license file is for a different product."

I then reverted back to the v.25 Reg Code and tried to install v.28 with the very same error message "Your license file is for a different product."

What am I doing wrong here?
No matter what I do to install the v.28 version all I get is the same error message "Your license file is for a different product."

So your advice to install the v.28 upgrade has been attempted multiple times and all I get in response is "Your license file is for a different product."

JJ

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 07:51:24 am »

I then reverted back to the v.25 Reg Code and tried to install v.28 with the very same error message "Your license file is for a different product."
That error message means that an earlier version of MC is restoring the license, and that MC28 is probably not installed.  Install MC28 and run it, then restore your MC28 license.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 09:58:15 am »

It might make things easier to if you first removed V25 (all versions) from your computer.  Just an idea.

Brian.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 03:32:20 am »

Does that mean that I should delete all backup copies of MC on any other bootable drive except for my main boot up drive?

In other words, disable/delete all backup for just this application?

What has changed?
I never had to do this in all of my previous upgrades all the way back to v.18.
And does this mean I shouldn't backup MC at all?

JJ

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 06:09:19 am »

I was only suggesting that you remove all versions of MC from your main Applications folder.  Keep the downloaded DMGs so you can reinstall.  Keep your backups exactly as they are.

My suggestion may or may not make any difference.  But I hope it does.

Good luck.

Brian.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 04:35:15 pm »

Your settings won't be deleted when you remove the Media Center App (whatever version).

Make sure you have a backup of your MC25 library first (File->Library->Backup Library).

Note that it's always the most simple when installing a license to simply copy and paste your new MC28 license into MC28 from the email sent by the license server to you using:

Help->Registration Info.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 12:03:21 am »

So I went ahead and trashed the 'active' copy of MC25 from my boot drive and then deleted it from within the trash, along with older MC23 apps that were in the trash as well.

I still can't load v.28.
I get the same error message as before.

So telling me yet again, to load v.28 isn't happening, no matter what, nor in which manner, I have tried to install it.

And so just now I re-booted my Mac and tried again using the Media Center28 Mac-536034.mjr file that was sent to me.

The same error msg immediately pops up.

JJ

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 08:13:59 am »

So I went ahead and trashed the 'active' copy of MC25 from my boot drive and then deleted it from within the trash, along with older MC23 apps that were in the trash as well.

I still can't load v.28.
I get the same error message as before.

So telling me yet again, to load v.28 isn't happening, no matter what, nor in which manner, I have tried to install it.

And so just now I re-booted my Mac and tried again using the Media Center28 Mac-536034.mjr file that was sent to me.

The same error msg immediately pops up.

JJ
Relax a little.  Complaining about the help you're getting won't solve the problem. 

It isn't clear what you have done, so please go step by step.

Confirm the version of MacOS you use and what the machine is (how old, etc.)

Then

Download MC28.

Run that file.

Drag MC to your Applications Folder

Run the application, not the download.

Under Help > License, use your MC28 Registration Code.  The mjr file is not the Registration Code.  It's the Install Key.  See Restoring a License for details on the difference.

Step by step, tell us what happens.

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 04:52:29 am »

Um, I have already done so, twice.

And no I'm not needing to relax, as I'm not really stressed by this dilemma.

I AM wondering why there is a failure to communicate, however.

No matter what approach I try, the same error code says it won't load the file due to the license file being incorrect and is meant for a different product.

That's all there is to this.
The installer .mjr file when run, immediately error's out and gives the same msg, every single time, no matter under what conditions I try and run it (no MC running obviously, and just after a reboot with nothing else running, etc.)

JJ

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2021, 01:25:06 am »

This situation was resolved by having the .dmg file sent to me, instead of trying to use the supplied .mjr file.

Go figure.

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 05:19:30 am »

johnjen,

I think you might have misunderstood which file does what:

The MJR file:  This contains a temporary license.  It is not an installer.  It's a license file.
The DMG file: This is the standard way of installing about 80% of Mac software.  It contains a disk image, which mounts when you click on it.  Then you can copy the Application from the disk image over to your Applications folder.

I'm glad you got it to work!  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up