INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interface Problems  (Read 1088 times)

Boerd

• Recent member
Interface Problems
« on: September 26, 2021, 08:46:48 pm »

For quite a few versions I kept buying JRiver Media - the master license. However, the interface is awful on Linux hence I decided to stop buying MC until I see some improvements.
For example, the UI takes seconds to close on a AMD Threadripper Pro 3995wx.
In Linux, the search simply won't work without a double click. In Windows click and type works as it should.
Other problem - 50-50 it doesn't work or stops working with my USB 3.0 Motu 8A. I can use the Motu from the browser for example but not from MC.
When I use the MC / Motu combination, the mouse and keyboard become unusable. The keyboard skips keys.
It also blocks the Motu interface and I have to run:
systemctl --user restart pulseaudio
to get the interface working again.
Motu 8A, Stax SR-009, Chord Mojo, Sennheiser HD 650, Beyer DT 880 600 ohms, Focal Elex, JRiver MC 27, NHT XD 2.2 as main speakers
Dell Precision 5810 / Ubuntu 18.04 KDE
Dell 9250 2-in-1 / Windows 10
Phantek Elite custom built Threadripper 3995wx Ubuntu 21.04

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Interface Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:07:35 pm »

Some of those may be issues with the desktop you're using.  Try another one.

Boerd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 10:34:18 pm »

Tried 4 versions of Ubuntu, about the same number of KDE/Gnome... Any specific one that works?
From MC 24 to MC 27, any Linux I tried has the same problems. On both my workstations.
Motu 8A, Stax SR-009, Chord Mojo, Sennheiser HD 650, Beyer DT 880 600 ohms, Focal Elex, JRiver MC 27, NHT XD 2.2 as main speakers

Boerd

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 06:07:56 pm »

Just bought MC 28 - no changes. Interface-wise the same problems as MC27. Probably slower.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 06:19:32 pm »

Could you try using one of the tutorials?

Here, for example:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,129853.0.html

Debian is what we build for.

Lucifer

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 11:35:55 am »

I currently run v28.00.55 on

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.14.7-2-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-8259U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655

From memory, the UI is not as slick as I remember my Windows install being, but its not, in my opinion awful.

Apart from having to activate text entry windows repeatedly (even when typing into one), the UI is fine for me. This particular issue was pointed out to be a KDE issue. There is a slight pause when exiting the program but nothing that bothers me.

I am highly unlikely to go back to Windows any time soon but am curious if anyone can describe their Linux setup as the ultimate for Media Center.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 01:55:23 pm »

FWIW I don't have any big interface issues on several systems, some on Arch using Gnome others on Debian running XFCE.  For instance, I only have to click once on text boxes to type into them.  The only time I've seen the double-click to type issue is when using KDE.

I do see a slow close (five to ten seconds after clicking the close button) on library clients, but not when using local libraries.  I always assumed the slow close was the client trying to sync any changes with the server and do an orderly shutdown, etc.  Network traffic takes longer than local IO for sure.  That said, closing a Linux library client does seem to take longer than a Windows library client, but my windows library clients don't close instantly either (usually two or three seconds), so I suspect the core of the delay is just a part of the synchronization process.

The only part of the interface that could use a little love from my perspective is the tagging pane, where I sometimes see some input lag, but that's pretty mild.  Otherwise the interface is pretty good for me on my systems. 

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 12:11:21 pm »

FWIW I don't have any big interface issues on several systems, some on Arch using Gnome others on Debian running XFCE.  For instance, I only have to click once on text boxes to type into them.  The only time I've seen the double-click to type issue is when using KDE.

I do see a slow close (five to ten seconds after clicking the close button) on library clients, but not when using local libraries.  I always assumed the slow close was the client trying to sync any changes with the server and do an orderly shutdown, etc.  Network traffic takes longer than local IO for sure.  That said, closing a Linux library client does seem to take longer than a Windows library client, but my windows library clients don't close instantly either (usually two or three seconds), so I suspect the core of the delay is just a part of the synchronization process.

The only part of the interface that could use a little love from my perspective is the tagging pane, where I sometimes see some input lag, but that's pretty mild.  Otherwise the interface is pretty good for me on my systems.

The delay on close is MC telling UPnP devices on the network that it's shutting down.
The more devices you have the longer that takes.
It takes even longer if you have a device that isn't working properly and MC has to wait for the timeout.

For some reason, this doesn't take as long on windows. It's possible that windows MC isn't actually working properly in this regard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up