INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from MC26 on old computer to MC28 on new computer  (Read 437 times)

frankhertz

Upgrade from MC26 on old computer to MC28 on new computer
« on: September 29, 2021, 07:07:54 pm »

Hello,
I have MC26 on an old computer. I have paid for and downloaded the MC28 upgrade files but want to put the MC28 on a new and faster computer. What is the procedure to do that?
Thanks for any information you can give.
Harry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Upgrade from MC26 on old computer to MC28 on new computer
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 07:52:23 pm »

Two wiki topics:

Restoring a License

Moving Files

frankhertz

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 02:40:54 pm »

Hello again,

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. How do I move my MC26 and its associated files (and where do I find its license key - for some reason I have a license key for MC27) to a new computer so that I can upgrade to MC28 which I have already purchased. Sorry but I find the the suggested topics in on your wiki page confusing. Assume I am luddite and need a recipe.
Thanks,
Harry

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 06:52:40 pm »

Some approaches:

IF your media files will be on the same volume on the new PC (eg C drive or same NAS)

Option 1
1. Generate a full backup of your library on the MC26 install - File>Library>Backup Library
2. Copy all the media files (and any associated sidecar and cover art jpg files to exactly the same volume and folder structure on the new PC.
3. Install MC28 and make sure you terminate the 'auto media search' that pops up in the Action Window on first startup.
4.  Restore the MC26 backup from Step 1 to your new MC28. File>Library>Restore Library

Option 2
1. Install MC28 on the old PC and and let it do it's upgrade magic on MC26.
3. Generate a MC28 backup (include thumbnails) from the new install.
4. Follow the rest of procedure as above but restore the MC28 backup from the old PC.

IF your media files volume and folder structure are going to be different on your new PC

1. Copy the media files as above
2. Install MC28 and let it generate a whole new library e.g. Let 'auto media search' run on first startup.

I would strongly recommend Option 2 as:

1. Although it means installing MC28 twice, you get the chance to check out MC28 without the 'unknowns' of having moved to a new PC.

2. The thumbnails get moved to your new PC so saving having to generate them again. I have no idea how big your library is but it can take significant time to generate new thumbnails on a large library.

Terry

EDIT:
BTW Harry if you are a luddite shouldn't I be proffering you advice on how to upgrade your card index for your gramophone or phonograph collection?

'Sorry Ned, can't come to the loom smashing tonight, I've just taken delivery of a 'Spinning Jenny' and it is taking longer to setup than I expected'........
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome
Pages: [1]   Go Up