INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dirac Live installation  (Read 2690 times)

monticciolo

• Recent member
Dirac Live installation
« on: October 03, 2021, 03:41:45 pm »

Good afternoon,
I have had great success with Dirac Live with my NAD M17v2-drive 5.1 system and thought I would attempt to get Dirac working with my 2-channel system. My problem is that I cannot get cal or test signals out of my system's speakers. I have spent a few hours following the Dirac Live manual. I'll put all my steps below.

1.   Using JRiver 28 running on a Dell laptop, feeding a PSAudio DirectStream DAC connected to my network with a Bridge II, album library on a QNAP NAS. All plays well. I had player and the DirectStream linked. I have a UMIK-2 connected to the laptop through an Anker USB C hub and the mic is active.
2.   Been following the directions from the Dirac Live manual, pps 8-14 is the focus of this discussion.
3.   Had Dirac 3 already loaded on my laptop and was used to calibrate NAD M17v2 successfully several times. Dirac account exists, activated license, etc. I know how to run the cal measurements and filter creation very well.
4.   Downloaded Dirac Processor Plugin
5.   Managed Plug-ins, found DirectLiveProcessor.vst3, and clicked
6.   In JRiver 28 DLP display comes us up with empty fields, Dirac Live Processor -8820  title field, (No Signal) in the upper left, and I selected stereo from the pull down on the right. DiracLiveProcessor was clicked on in left-hand option column of JRiver.
7.   I then started the first track from the The Koln Concert by Ketih Jarrett. The track is 26 min long and I get sound out of both my laptop speakers and my Aerial 7Ts that are the output of system that includes the DirectStream.
8.   I go to Windows control panel/playback, have the Realtek Audio selected as the default device, configure, test and get sound out of my laptop. 
9.   I then open DiracProcessorLive  from the start button and a new  empty DLP window pops up with DLP - 4698 in the title field. The Virtual Audio Device still shows not plugged in under Sound/playback.
10.   Then in the DLP 4698 window, I go to options>audio settings>start with windows - I've also tried ASIO. Once I was able to get the Virtual Audio Device(Dirac) active from the JRiver output  but can't repeat it.

Is there a simple answer such as I need to have my laptop directly connected to the USB port on my DAC or is there something that I am doing wrong with my setup steps?
Thanks in advance and would really appreciate some help,
Paul

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Dirac Live installation
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:35:44 pm »

I think you might be confusing the Dirac's system wide virtual sound driver with the VST plugin.  You use one or the other.

Since you've installed the VST plugin, sounds like you should close Dirac's virtual driver (make sure it is not simply minimized to the tray).  You don't need it.

In JRiver's playback options first select the correct audio device.  Seems like this should be something indicating it is for your PSAudio device, based on a (ASIO?) driver you installed on windows.

In JRiver make sure the checkbox for Dirac's VST is selected so it is active
In JRiver make sure the output format converts sample rates as required for Dirac (doesn't accept over 192khz)

To create filter with Dirac Live:
Start playback of a track in JRiver  Put it on repeat to keep it going.  If music stops you might lose connection to processor when you start the Dirac Live app.
in Dirac VST plugin, you should see the meters active at this point

Now, start up the Dirac Live app and select appropriate processor
Just let JRiver keep playing.  You don't really use it at this point but it is necessary.

Now, use Dirac Live app to carry out your measurements and create your filter. 
Filter will show up in the VST plugin UI when completed.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 06:57:07 pm »

Hi again,
First, thanks for the help. I am still having problems getting the right settings. One thing (among very many) that are confusing me is that the DSP options give me an error for applies to local zones only. Way back years ago when it got the DirectStream, the directions were to set it as a DLNA server named as Audiophile 24-bit DAC. Still can't get calibration sounds to come out of my speakers. I was able to get the cal signals out of my laptop speakers by setting output to Realtek ASIO and the bars where moving in the display.

I didn't think that it would be this hard, particularly after reading Kal R's (from Stereophile) column on Saturday afternoon before starting this. Any suggestions (including proper settings would be appreciated). If i can't make it work after I hear back from you, i will try reaching out to Dirac.
Have a good night and sorry for my apparent lack of skills,
Paul

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 07:09:29 pm »

I didn't think that it would be this hard, particularly after reading Kal R's (from Stereophile) column on Saturday afternoon before starting this. Any suggestions (including proper settings would be appreciated).
I guess I've been called out.  I am now listening to the DLNA stream to my exaSound s88 via LAN, so it can be done.  Do you realize that installing the DL VST plug-in the DSP Studio for DLNA streaming is a procedure separate from that of installing it in the main DSP Studio?  ;)
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 09:03:14 pm »

I guess I've been called out.  I am now listening to the DLNA stream to my exaSound s88 via LAN, so it can be done.  Do you realize that installing the DL VST plug-in the DSP Studio for DLNA streaming is a procedure separate from that of installing it in the main DSP Studio?  ;)
Thanks Kal.  I was just about to reply to the OP since I had just realized this was on LAN, and I provided instructions for USB .
So, it's been a while since I configured for streaming, and last time I tried Dirac over network it would crash frequently, so I gave up.  Sounds like you get it working.  Was this a JRiver or Dirac fix?

@monticciolo
Going from memory here's what I think need be done.  And hope it's right for your setup:
Tools / Options / Media Network - 1st make certain that "Use Media Network to share ....DLNA" is enabled.  You won't see your DAC on network without this.
Now add new DLNA server - You'll see the selection for Audiophile 24-bit DAC that you mentioned
After you've added the DLNA server....
(Note there is an option in the Advanced audio section here for DSP Studio and that is where you would configure Dirac plugin. 
Personally, I'd first confirm I can play to the DAC before adding Dirac into the mix.)

Close up these menus to get back to main JRiver display

Look under the Playing Now area of JRiver
Do you see your DAC listed there?
I think you have to right click on the DAC and then choose the option to associate it with the DLNA server you just finished configuring.
Unless anyone has something else to add, I think this should get playback going.
Simply select the DLNA zone in Playing now and start playback.

Now, if playback is working you can go back and enable Dirac (where you configured the DLNA server in advanced audio section) and give that part of it another go.

Hope I have not sent you in wrong direction with any of this.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 09:23:46 pm »

Thanks Kal.  I was just about to reply to the OP since I had just realized this was on LAN, and I provided instructions for USB .
So, it's been a while since I configured for streaming, and last time I tried Dirac over network it would crash frequently, so I gave up.  Sounds like you get it working.  Was this a JRiver or Dirac fix?
Hard to say what was "the fix."  The DL installation was a bit of cut-and-try.  If one installs the VST plug-in for USB, one can then easily insert it into the separate DSP Studio for LAN. 

@monticciolo
Going from memory here's what I think need be done.  And hope it's right for your setup:
Hope I have not sent you in wrong direction with any of this.
I think you got it.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 07:26:36 pm »

Folks,
Once again, thanks for your support. I had to step away for a night or two to celebrate my wife' promotion. I have my DirectStreamDac set up, it plays music through my speakers (96/24 FLAC), the Dirac window shows in DSP Studio with the Dirac option checked, I open the Dirac Live 3 app on the laptop, I select my mic, go to cal, and no noise signal comes out of the speakers, just music. I've tried a few options including linking Player with the DirectStream and i get noise out of my laptop speakers but music keeps playing out of the speakers. Also, when I open the Dirac Live 3 app, i have multiple DLP number options to choose from in addition to my NAD M17v2. Not sure why?  In the DLP window, i've made sure that I have JRiver28 selected (ASIO). I've also tried this with Window. I do not see the volume bars moving. I got them to move on a few iterations but can't seem to repeat the results. Also, some times when i try to open DSP studio, I get a "works only in local zones" error message. I am quite sure something in my settings is not quite right.

Not sure what to do next. Very frustrating as I run a computing group at MIT. I am good at hacking around and have tried many, many other options that i have not reported.  I've also uninstalled DLP and reinstalled. Just can't get cal sounds out of the speakers. I have about another week of the Dirac trial so I will try a few more things.

Any thoughts (I hate giving up, not in my nature) would be greatly appreciated.
Best wishes,
Paul

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 07:53:51 pm »

I cannot see through this enough to suggest a definite solution.  However, I am a bit concerned about the DLNA/DSP Studio setup.  My experience was a setup with direct USB including the DL3 calibration.  When that was done (and not without a new missteps), it was easy to switch over to DLNA.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 06:36:59 am »

Kal,
Thanks. I will try a USB setup as you suggest.
A good weekend to all.
Paul

jimwallen

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 08:54:40 pm »

Keep at it with DIRAC. I was so confused trying to get it installed and running properly, until one day I got it. I got support from the Dirac people but not that I could understand. In my case I had the wrong microphone identified! You'll get it too, and it's so worth it. A tweakers delight it is, and well suited for JRiver!!!
jim

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 09:07:53 am »

Good morning,
The USB setup works! Was able to set mic levels and got out Dirac cal signals. Now all i need to do now is buy a longer 3m USB cable so i can sit at my actual listening position with the mic . Hopefully, up and running quickly once the cable arrives. Have a great weekend,
Paul

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2021, 09:09:40 am »

Great.  So apparently calibration doesn't work over DLNA. 
Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 09:28:26 am »

Great.  So apparently calibration doesn't work over DLNA.
I have not tried it but it seems likely.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 04:56:42 pm »

OK. I got my 10ft USB cable, got out my trusty old Radio Shack meter, set levels, recorded 9 locations, computed filters, loaded into the Dirac Processor, and it works!

I have one more question. I have Dirac and JRiver28 on running on my laptop right.  Right after I loaded Dirac onto the system and was playing back files, I noticed a significant volume drop (e.g., running a long Keith Jarrett track) in the streaming mode. For example, running JRiver28 on my desktop machine and playing back through the DirectStream DAC, a Simaudio volume setting of 55 is approximately equal to a volume setting of 70 when the same track is played back through JRiver (with or without Dirac Activated [checked box]) on my laptop. Any thoughts are to what might be causing the attenuation? The USB output sound level from the laptop is on par with streaming from the desktop machine, i.e., no problems. Qobuz works just fine playing through JRiver as well.

Oh, the sound is excellent! It will take bit of time to not be "hearing the room" but first impressions are very positive.
Thanks,
Paul

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 05:21:39 pm »

Have you checked the DL control panel (where you choose the filter) to see the level setting?
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 06:53:58 pm »

Hi Kal, When I am streaming to the DirectStreamDAC, I am not able to see DSP Studio. I get an "only local zones" message. Audio path does show Dirac Live working. Under DLNA Servers>Advanced>DSP Studio, they DSP Studio is grayed out so I do not see the pop up for Dirac that has the levels. When i do the same from JR28 on my desktop, which does not have Dirac, I am able to get DSP Studio for DLNA Servers>Advanced>DSP Studio.

In the USB mode using Player from the laptop, I do see the volume setting for Dirac in pop up. I did adjust that upwards when doing after doing the cal from the USB mode.

Perhaps I have to do another DLNA server setup? Oh, streaming Roon (Core on my desktop) over my network plays at the right volume level. Any help from the JR folks would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul 

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 09:56:36 pm »

Hi Kal, When I am streaming to the DirectStreamDAC, I am not able to see DSP Studio. I get an "only local zones" message. Audio path does show Dirac Live working. Under DLNA Servers>Advanced>DSP Studio, they DSP Studio is grayed out so I do not see the pop up for Dirac that has the levels. When i do the same from JR28 on my desktop, which does not have Dirac, I am able to get DSP Studio for DLNA Servers>Advanced>DSP Studio.
I get there via Options>Media Network>DSP Studio for DLNA Servers>Advanced>DSP Studio.   Not directly via DSP Studio for DLNA Servers>Advanced>DSP Studio. .
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

monticciolo

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 06:18:13 pm »

YES! I am all set. Over the weekend, my temp license expired. I purchased the two-channel version, redownloaded and installed both the VST and Dirac Live 3 SW. I spent some time listening to music (that is what we are supposed to do once in a while :-) ) via USB over the past two days. After dinner tonight, I opened up JR28, went to options>DLNA servers......, and got the Dirac window to pop up. The gain slider was way down, maybe a result of an early failure by me. In any case, I cranked up the gain, activated my latest filter, hit play, and voila! Thanks very much for your support (and others). Your article was perfectly timed and pushed me over the edge. My system sounds great. And keep writing the wonderful articles. Oh, and I use Dirac for multi-channel sound via my NAD M17v2, KEF LS50Ms, a dual JL e110s. Have a great evening!

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 07:16:35 pm »

The gain slider was way down, maybe a result of an early failure by me.
It is SOP.  I have to do it often.
Thanks very much for your support (and others). Your article was perfectly timed and pushed me over the edge. My system sounds great.
Great. Thanks.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Pages: [1]   Go Up