INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: And another 'quirk'  (Read 574 times)

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
And another 'quirk'
« on: October 05, 2021, 01:56:58 am »

So I first found this behavioral 'quirk' when I was trying to troubleshoot yet another 'quirk' which I will go into AFTER this 'quirk' is resolved.

I was using v.25 and this is what prompted me to upgrade to v.28.
And this 'quirk' persists in v.28 as well.

So I wanted to swap HD access to a duplicate set of files from a backup drive instead of using the original HD 'source' for those files.
So I went into IMPORT and selected CONFIGURE AUTO-IMPORT and deleted the path to the original HD 'source' of those files.
I then added those same (backed up) files from the backup drive into the AUTO-IMPORT configuration and ran AUTO-IMPORT.

I then added into the active play list, albums from the newly configured backup drive, while the original 'source' drive was disabled.
What showed up in the play list were 2 sets of the same files from both of those HD's for the same album.
Namely the original 'source' drive AND the backup drive were superimposed on top of each other for the same album.

So next I restarted my mac, not just the MC program, with the same result, 2 sets of files from 2 different HD sources for the same album.
And my original 'source' HD was NOT listed in the AUTO-IMPORT list of files to access, yet files from that original 'source' WERE included in the play list for every album along with the files from the supposedly 'swapped' HD's.

Put another way…
The changed configuration of which HD to use to access the files for my albums, didn't stop using the original HD source when told to do so, and now there are 2 sets of files for every track from 2 different HD's even though AUTO-IMPORT only lists one HD to access for those files.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

erviv

• World Citizen
Re: And another 'quirk'
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 06:25:50 am »

You didn’t say if the original HD files would play. I assume they won’t as the HD is not there, but the path is.
I believe this is actually a feature in MC that prevents MC from wiping out files from your library when for example your HD is inadvertently disconnected and you run auto import.  There is an option that you can select that gives you the choice to ignore or not ignore missing drives. From memory this I think is in the configure auto import. Just checked and it’s in the configure auto import - tasks  update for external changes  yes  for protecting files on missing drives or no ( to delete files on missing drives). I expect you have yes selected (which might be the default setting(?)).
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 05:36:51 pm »

Say there.
Yes all the files play.

And yes again the "Ignore files previously removed from library" is checked, and the "Fix broken links:" is also enabled.

And I interpret the "Ignore files previously removed from library" as meaning that MC will NOT see those previously removed files, ie. those files not listed in the AUTO-IMPORT list.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 05:35:06 am »

I can see how this procedure would seem to be the correct one.  The way you described it is logical.   However, the result you got is exactly what I would expect from the procedure you used.  I only know this because I've been deeply involved in MC for quite a few years and have done a lot of drive manipulation.

If I were you, I would start by restoring a backup from just before the changes you made.  That way you are back on the original drive with only ONE copy of everything.  From there you can experiment with the procedure I'm going to talk about.

The correct way to do this in MC is to use the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool in "Update Database" mode.  When you do this, it will tell MC that your files have moved, and MC will update their file location internally.  That way there's no need to reimport anything.  All files will be exactly the same with all the same play counts, last played dates, and most importantly all the same playlists.

An outline of how to do this:

1.  Highlight some files.
2.  Tools > Library Tools > Rename Move and Copy Files
3.  Inside of RM&C:
  * Update Database to point to new location
  * move all files :  Unchecked
  * Directories:  Unchecked
  * Filename:  Unchecked
  * Find and Replace:  CHECKED
     * Find what:  Path to old drive goes here
     * Replace with:  Path to new drive goes here

As an example, let's say you were moving from a drive named 1TBOLD to a drive named 8TBNEW.
In Find, you would type:  /Volumes/1TBOLD
In Replace you would type:  /Volumes/8TBNEW

This assumes that the directory path on both drives, to the music files, is exactly the same. If not, you'll need to type more in order to do a Find and Replace that represents the new file path on the new drive.  As an example:
Find:  /Volumes/1TBOLD/Music/
Replace:  /Volumes/8TBNEW/Backups/Music/

Now, before you press OK, look at the right hand side of the screen in the Preview area.  That will show you exactly what MC is going to do.   Make sure the file paths look correct.  Also note that this is a COMPLETE list of what MC is going to change. 

You should start by doing this to ONE FILE and see if it works.  If not, restore your backup and try again.  Then do maybe an album or two.  Make sure they work.  Then, when you are confident in the method, highlight your entire library and do all of it.

I hope this helps you.  Go slow.  Understand what you are doing.  You'll do it correctly.

Take care,
Brian.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 08:30:23 am »

Very good answer Brian.  It is what I thought but hadn't managed to put in to words so eloquently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up