INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow playback [Solved]  (Read 927 times)

andromaya

• Recent member
Slow playback [Solved]
« on: October 08, 2021, 10:30:28 am »

Another one...

MC28 consistently plays back files with high bitrates (say above 2000kbps) slowed down (like when you would reduce rpm on a vinyl player). This happened all of a sudden without any change of settings. How can this be solved?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Slow playback
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 04:56:17 pm »

Another one...

MC28 consistently plays back files with high bitrates (say above 2000kbps) slowed down (like when you would reduce rpm on a vinyl player). This happened all of a sudden without any change of settings. How can this be solved?
I've never seen that behavior before.
Filetype?
Sample rate/bitdepth?
Output device? Output device settings in MC?
Your computer details?

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 08:20:44 am »

I'm very familiar with a *similar* behavior.  It may or may not be what you are reporting.

Sometimes, I'll play back a file with a sort of high sample rate:  Say 48kHz.  I'll pause that file for some time and then when I return I decide to play something else with a sample rate of 44.1kHz.  So I double click and it starts playing.  But the playback speed is wrong.  It seems that when paused and a new file is started, the DAC is never told to switch sample rates.  So the DAC is stuck at the old sample rate and my newly played file sounds too fast.

In reverse they would sound really slow.  Like if I paused a 44.1kHz file and then doubled clicked a 96kHz file.  The new file (if the DAC does not change) would play REALLY slowly.

I've had this happen dozens of times in the last 8 or 9 years I've been using MC.  The solution is always very simple:  Press stop.  Press play.  Fixed.

Again, this may or may not describe your issue.

Brian.

andromaya

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 08:59:40 am »

I've never seen that behavior before.
Filetype?
Sample rate/bitdepth?
Output device? Output device settings in MC?
Your computer details?

I found the culprit: there was Logic Pro project opened at the same time as playing back music in MC28. I'm still not sure why this would happen, but when I close Logic playback is normal. This occurs when playing back a 352.8kHz/24bit ALAC file for example.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 11:27:45 am »

If Logic (audio editor for Mac) had the DAC locked at a lower sampling rate, like 44.1 or 48kHz, then the DAC would interpret your 384kHz as 48kHz and play it back at 1/8th speed (and pitch).  Which probably sounded really weird!  :)

Glad you figured it out.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up