INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote - Items with Special Characters or accent marks not returned in search  (Read 1218 times)

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck

For example, I have an artist in my library named "Víkingur Ólafsson"

In JRemote, if a search "Vikingur Olafsson" (without the special character accent marks), no results are returned.

If I DO make the effort to include the special characters exactly as the artist is named in my library, the search works. But, it would be very nice if the search tolerance in JRemote could be increased to include items with accent marks even if the user does not include the correct accent marks in the search.

The JRiver Desktop app does yeild the expected artist result even if I am too lazy to include the accent marks (see attached screenshot).

Cinelder

• World Citizen

For example, I have an artist in my library named "Víkingur Ólafsson"

In JRemote, if a search "Vikingur Olafsson" (without the special character accent marks), no results are returned.

If I DO make the effort to include the special characters exactly as the artist is named in my library, the search works. But, it would be very nice if the search tolerance in JRemote could be increased to include items with accent marks even if the user does not include the correct accent marks in the search.

The JRiver Desktop app does yeild the expected artist result even if I am too lazy to include the accent marks (see attached screenshot).

FWIW, I have JRemote and several albums by Olafsson in my library, all spelled with the special character accents.  I don’t have any current problems with JRemote searches for Olafsson without spelling his name with the special characters in the search window. 

But I did before I renamed the folder to eliminate the “&” from the Windows folder name i.e.  from “Mozart & Contemporaries” to “Mozart and Contemporaries”.   It may be a coincidence, but from that I guessed (I may well be wrong - I’m certainly no expert) that the problem occurs when the special character has some significance if used in the operating system command line.  Accents not used in English spelling don’t seem to cause any problems on their own in my experience with JRemote.

I’ve noticed this behavior when the folder name has an “&” in it, and that renaming the Windows folder to substitute “and” for “&” in the underlying Windows folder seems to do the trick for me.  I also routinely rename track names with “&” in the title to “and”, too.  I haven’t experienced any problems with JRemote if  “&”  or accents not used in conventional English spelling appear in the artist field.

Pages: [1]   Go Up