INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I copy/move number of plays, skip count, etc from my PC to my Mac  (Read 821 times)

rbmjr

• World Citizen

I have installed MC 28 on my Mac and copied my music files from my PC to the Mac, Imported the folders and now have access to the same music files that are on my PC. EXCEPT all the information about number of plays, last play date, skip count etc are still back on the PC. MC 28 on the Mac says the music files are "never played" how can I copy/move this information from my PC to my Mac?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do I copy/move number of plays, skip count, etc from my PC to my Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 09:04:32 am »

All that information is stored in the MC database on your PC.  If you export the database as an MPL file, it will make a text file for you that you can move over to the Mac.

If you look inside the MPL file you'll see that it has entries for every music file in your library, complete with play count and all of that.  However, the paths to these files will be the paths on your PC, which aren't the same as your Mac.

You should be able to use a text editor to change those paths to be where they are on the Mac.  You'll need to make sure to change backslashes into slashes in the paths too.

Once that is done, you should be able to import that into MC on the Mac.  This will update the database entries with all of that information.  Now, it gets a little strange here, as I have seen cases where you need to import the MPL file *twice* on the Mac in order to get everything.  I'm not really sure exactly why, but I have seen that behavior.

I recommend making a library BACKUP on the Mac before you start.  That way if things go sideways, you can always just restore the library backup and start from where you were.  Specifically I mean:  File > Library > Backup Library .

Thinking about it some more, you might do an experiment with ONE album.  Highlight the album, export it as MPL, edit the MPL file, move it to the mac, and import it on the Mac.  Then see if the play counts, etc have updated.  (Again you might need to do the import twice).

Good luck!

Brian.

rbmjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 03:29:11 pm »

I am bit confused; "... export the database as an MPL" Is MPL a typo? All I see is export as XML

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 09:09:27 pm »

I am bit confused; "... export the database as an MPL" Is MPL a typo? All I see is export as XML

It took me a minute to find what you were doing versus what I was doing.  I should have been more clear.

I was recommending that you use the menu item:
file > export playlist

Which, in a way, doesn't make a lot of sense.  Especially since I said "database" and you logically went to File > Library > export as XML.  Very logical.   Just not what I intended.

The "export playlist" thing sounds weird but it's what you want.  Make sure to click the radio button near the bottom that says output range > selection .  That will make sure the MPL file only has the files in it that you have selected as a test.  If you keep it to "all", which is the default, it will export your entire library.  That's probably what you want to do once you are confident in the method.  But for a test, you should use "selection" instead.

Good luck.
Brian.

rbmjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 07:33:43 am »

Got it. Thanks I'll give that a go later today

rbmjr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 12:34:14 pm »

I've given it a test try and seems to have worked! Thanks so much for the support. Here is what I did...

On my PC

I exported a playlist as MPL (see row 1 in table).
I ran the conversion (see row 2 in table) using Notepad++ and saved the results.

(1)
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="Export 60&apos;s Win" PathSeparator="\">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">D:\rbm30\MediaCenterMusic\Music 60's\The Band\The Band (Deluxe Edition_Remixed 2019)\The Band - The Band (Deluxe EditionRemixed 2019) - 29 - Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever - Live At Woodstock, 81769.mp3</Field>
(2)
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<MPL Version="2.0" Title="Export 60&apos;s Win" PathSeparator="/">
<Item>
<Field Name="Filename">/Users/rbmjr/Music/MediaCenterMusic/Music 60's/The Band/The Band (Deluxe Edition_Remixed 2019)/The Band - The Band (Deluxe EditionRemixed 2019) - 29 - Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever - Live At Woodstock, 81769.mp3</Field>

On my Mac

I imported the modified .MPL using File | Import
After the import, under Playlists I see: Imported Playlists | Export 60's Win, and an Import Summary message saying 1 file imported.

Opening the same smartlist on both PC and Mac I was able to compare fields that are important to me such as "number plays", "last played", etc. and the PC and Mac data matched

Again thanks for the help and support.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 01:57:23 pm »

I'm really happy to hear that worked out for you.  :)  It's rare that things like this work out first time.  Nice job!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up