INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Running Man (1987)  (Read 1570 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
The Running Man (1987)
« on: October 30, 2021, 11:19:56 am »

Watched this today. Enjoyed it way more than I expected, all for completely different reasons than the first time around, all those years ago! How many years ago? I know, right? They pitched it 30 years into the future... The tech was amusing, some might say they got the media manipulation spot on, but that's a whole other debate I don't want to get into :D

All the crazy explosions, a bit like an A-Team episode, you know, where no-one actually gets killed.
The humour was awful... so bad, it was almost funny... "He had to split"... "Now he's just plain zero"... :D
The girls?? Today's feministas would have this banned in a heartbeat. Amber got to show off all those screaming skills she learned back in drama school, like all good film girls did in the eighties!

It was still great fun though, even if at times, I felt that I should be feeling guilty for enjoying it, but did not, it was a nostalgic watch.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
Re: The Running Man (1987)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 05:44:22 pm »

One of the most 80-est movies ever made, and an absolute Arnie quote fest.

Get the book by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman). Excellent read. Written in 1982, set in 2025...

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 12:24:19 am »

I watched The Running Man about a month ago, I have not seen it for at least 25 years. I could somehow quote a good portion of the dialog as the movie played. For some reason I can do this with Blood Sport too.
My wife was not having any of this movie, she glared at me more than she watched. I guess Arnie wasn't big in France. This is probably the most annoyed I have ever seen her with a movie. Coincidentally i soon after found a poster of Arnie in a Speedo at the free book store. She did not enjoy this either.

I can't say I enjoyed the movie too much, but it was OK. It is a good story but too cheesy of an execution. In my opinion it's not in the same league as Predator or Total Recall.

drakos

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 09:52:41 am »

I will watch it tomorrow ::)

jetpacksam

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 10:09:13 am »

If you can get it, the https://www.rifftrax.com/ version of the film is hilarious.
It's where the MST3K guys went after that wrapped, if you didn't know.
SUCK GAS, EVILDOER!
Pages: [1]   Go Up