INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: selectively enable/disable conversion for DSD 64/128/256 etc...  (Read 1167 times)

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck
selectively enable/disable conversion for DSD 64/128/256 etc...
« on: October 29, 2021, 05:00:28 pm »

Reposting a question I had put in the version 27 forum that didn't get an answer earlier in 2021.

For reference : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128214.msg890891.html#msg890891

--------

Today, in the DLNA server configuration, it's possible to disable conversion/DSP studio for specific file types (example all sacd, dsf etc...)

Would it be possible to have specific formats for each DSD type in the list in the menu "DLNA Server > Audio > Advanced > Audio formats to convert"?

In my case, my receiver supports DSD64 and DSD128 but not DSD256.
I couldn't find a way to avoid converting all DSD just to be able to play DSD256. There is no option for DSD in DSP Studio I believe.
That would be also a good feature for directly attached DACs.

I understand though that those are different sample rates and not formats. Not sure what's the better approach to make this easily implemented and comprehensive in the UI.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: selectively enable/disable conversion for DSD 64/128/256 etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 06:16:46 pm »

Did you try setting audio conversion for the DLNA Server to "Specified Format Only When Necessary"?

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 06:40:33 pm »

Yes that's what I use.

But then you can only select all DSD, DSF files, not DSD64, DSD128 etc... independently.

It would be the equivalent of saying, convert mp3 320 but not 128 for instance.

Since DSD files are not based on a frequency that makes sense for the DSP Studio (it's 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.2M not Khz) there is also no clear mapping with the option in DSP Studio to downsample the DSD256 or DSD512.
I know those are extreme cases; DSD256 and DSD512 (I don't own any of those) are overkill. But I own a few albums in that format/sampling rate (mostly Vinyl RIPs), so avoiding the conversion most of the time is preferable for the other files (DSD64 coming from my SACD Rips for instance).

I didn't find a way, so now I manually go in the DLNA server setup every time I play one of those files, and force the DSD/DSF conversion.
It's not ideal in terms of user experience.

And sure I could convert those files with probably no quality lose to my ears, but it's worth asking the developers of JRiver to see how easily it could be implemented.
Maybe something in the DSP Studio?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 04:51:00 pm »

I think (but am not sure) that DSD64 corresponds to 352k in DSP studio.
You might try setting files > than that to be transcoded in the DLNA server DSP studio settings.

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 07:14:06 pm »

Sure I'll try, it's easy to check I think.

There may be a correspondance, but it's not explicitly stated anywhere, and the "math" to arrive to the equivalent PCM frequency is not explicite either.
Is it stated somewhere I missed in the forum or the documentation?

Otherwise, I would prefer to assume there isn't a hidden correspondance or get an answer from one of the developers familiar with that part of the product.

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 07:32:02 pm »

Did a quick test. It doesn't work.

Actually, I believe the DSP Studio is not used when using DLNA. The Audio Path says it's not using the JRiver Engine.
It's a bit untrue since the conversion of the DSF/DFF files is forced to PCM 24bit on the DLNA setup. Also, MC must be using a default frequency I don't see as configurable.

Back to my initial question then :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 07:53:23 am »

Did a quick test. It doesn't work.

Actually, I believe the DSP Studio is not used when using DLNA. The Audio Path says it's not using the JRiver Engine.
It's a bit untrue since the conversion of the DSF/DFF files is forced to PCM 24bit on the DLNA setup. Also, MC must be using a default frequency I don't see as configurable.

Back to my initial question then :)
DSP studio has a separate area for setup under the DLNA server configuration. It's configurable on a per-server basis.

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 12:47:41 am »

Yes that’s what I have done.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 10:09:09 am »

Yes that’s what I have done.
I was just answering your query about DSP studio not being used for DLNA.

It is if you have Specified format or Specified format when necessary in your DLNA server settings.
You will not see it in the DSP studio display on the main window since that's only for local devices.
You were able to see it in the audio path information however that caused a crash under very rare situations so we had to remove that audio path info for DLNA renderer zones until we can figure out how to fix that.

mimizone

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 11:33:20 pm »

Oh didn't know about the bug you mentioned that explains the empty audio path.

I was also wondering why you would get into the trouble of offering the DSP Studio setup per DLNA server if they were not used :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up