INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Import Protect Missing Drives Removes Files From Library  (Read 1410 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Auto Import Protect Missing Drives Removes Files From Library
« on: November 17, 2021, 10:05:10 pm »

Hello,

When I have Auto Import set to Protect Missing Drives in Linux, the files are often removed from my library when the hard drive is not mounted. I think it is classifying files in missing drives as broken links. Is this a bug? Or is this because of how Linux handles drive mounts?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Auto Import Protect Missing Drives Removes Files From Library
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 02:29:29 pm »

Hello,

When I have Auto Import set to Protect Missing Drives in Linux, the files are often removed from my library when the hard drive is not mounted. I think it is classifying files in missing drives as broken links. Is this a bug? Or is this because of how Linux handles drive mounts?

Out of curiosity are your auto-import paths in the root of the mount or in a subdirectory?  For example, if your mount point is /mnt/disk is your auto import directory /mnt/disk or is it /mnt/disk/Audio?  I ask because the root of the mount point exists whether the disk is mounted or not and I'm not sure how MC would tell that a disk is present or missing, but subdirectories below the mount point won't exist when the disk is unmounted and will throw an error so it seems like that should be something MC could readily detect.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Auto Import Protect Missing Drives Removes Files From Library
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 10:22:42 am »

mwilliems,

Thank you, I think that is exactly what is happening here. I am importing sub directories in order to set custom tags for media sub-type on auto import:

The auto import folder is set to:

/media/pi/Media_HD/Videos/Movies
/media/pi/Media_HD/Videos/Music Videos
/media/Media_HD/Videos/TV
/media/Media_HD/Videos/DVD_Extras
etc.

The drive mount point is set in fstab at:

/media/pi/Media_HD

Your description of the cause matches the behavior I am seeing, namely when the drive mounted to /media/pi/Media_HD is not attached via usb, the folder /media/pi/Media_HD is empty and MC sees the individual subdirectories as missing, and hence the broken links.

I wonder if there is a way to get both the subdirectory tag on import, AND protect missing links when moving the drive around for backups. 

If not, I may just move the hard drive to an NAS, where it will persist on the network 24/7 and I won't need to move it around as much.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up