INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equaliser PREsets - what the rationale behind some of them?  (Read 365 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Equaliser PREsets - what the rationale behind some of them?
« on: November 22, 2021, 01:47:17 am »

I'm curious about some of the Presets in the Eq, and why they might be supposed to sound better.

The Classical preset, for example, is flat up to 1.5kHz, then a sudden drop of 4.5dB for 2-12kHz, and -6dB for 16-20kHz which is in the range that most of us who are over 40 can't hear anyway....
Someone doesn't want us hearing violins and particularly cymbals perhaps?  ;D

OTOH, the Hip-Hop preset (a genre renowned for stupidly high bass levels that make a whole suburb vibrate when a single car drives through it), has the bass revved up by 2.5 to 4.5dB, and then anything above 1kHz is dropped by 2.0dB or so. What, nowhere near enough bass already?? I would have thought to drop the bass to something pre-nuclear, and stick some treble into it.

Anyone got any thoughts on that? Obviously I understand that these are just nominal settings, but they do seem to be radical changes to flat that we are steered towards. My Shanling M3s DAP had radical settings too, but no doubt different.

I also notice that the presets in the new 20 band Eq have everything in pairs at the same level (e.g. in Blues 2k and 3k are both -2.5dB, and 4k and 6k are both -1.0dB). I guess that's just a pass-on from the 10 band Eq settings.

Cheers
FF  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up