INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC makes function keys unusable  (Read 2656 times)

Tigger

• Recent member
MC makes function keys unusable
« on: November 23, 2021, 09:52:13 am »

Hi,

when MC is running I am not able to use the functions keys to adjust the screen brightness or the system volume anymore.
Is this a known behavior and is there a workaround expect don't have MC running?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC makes function keys unusable
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 05:24:31 pm »

Hi,

when MC is running I am not able to use the functions keys to adjust the screen brightness or the system volume anymore.
Is this a known behavior and is there a workaround expect don't have MC running?
Tools->Options->General->Advanced->Media key mode
Set to disabled.
And restart MC.

MC should capture the volume and play/pause and forward/back keys when enabled.
It shouldn't intercept the brightness control but I can verify that it does.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 04:26:38 pm »

Figured out the issue with the media keys that we intercept but don't use.
That will be fixed in the next build.

Tigger

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 06:13:02 am »

I´m happy that you could research and fix it.
Looking forward for next release  :D
Thanx

Tigger

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 05:12:26 pm »

Can you please clarify what is meant by "next build"? Has the problem been solved (which version)?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 08:14:53 am »

That was fixed. The last build of MC28 28.0.106 as well as all builds of MC29 work fine.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 09:36:07 am »

That was fixed. The last build of MC28 28.0.106 as well as all builds of MC29 work fine.

My media keys were working fine up until just very recently on v105 not sure if it broke now because of the latest macOs update or some Media Center update or some other app update which changed how it manages Fn keys like Signal I seem to remember mentioning some change in the way they handle media keys.  Anyway i'm on v105 for mac and the media keys no longer work again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 11:21:04 am »

My media keys were working fine up until just very recently on v105 not sure if it broke now because of the latest macOs update or some Media Center update or some other app update which changed how it manages Fn keys like Signal I seem to remember mentioning some change in the way they handle media keys.  Anyway i'm on v105 for mac and the media keys no longer work again.
I'm not seeing that on my Catalina machine which works fine but on Monterey 12.3 it's not working any more. Looks like Apple broke something else.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 11:26:02 am »

I'd be interested in hearing if your signal update fixes it for you. It could mean I have an app that's misbehaving as well on my Monterey machine.

Tigger

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2022, 03:10:35 am »

Are we actually talking about the same when we talk about "media keys" ?!
The typical media keys like play, pause volume are working well - the problem is that the other keys like screen brightness still are not working (macOS Monterey12.3 on M1)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2022, 09:36:50 am »

Are we actually talking about the same when we talk about "media keys" ?!
The typical media keys like play, pause volume are working well - the problem is that the other keys like screen brightness still are not working (macOS Monterey12.3 on M1)
On my M1 the behavior is not consistent, I'm still looking at it.
When my media keys work, usually only on first run after login, the passthrough of stuff like spaces and desktop work. I can't test the brightness up/down because I have a non-apple 4k monitor which doesn't seem to work with that. On my Catalina Macbook pro the brightness up/down work fine.

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 08:23:20 am »

On my M1 the behavior is not consistent, I'm still looking at it.
When my media keys work, usually only on first run after login, the passthrough of stuff like spaces and desktop work. I can't test the brightness up/down because I have a non-apple 4k monitor which doesn't seem to work with that. On my Catalina Macbook pro the brightness up/down work fine.

Signal update did not fix anything, still not working.  Anyway I am upgrading to MC29.

Tigger

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 08:00:12 am »

can anyone tell me how the behavior is on the Mac in the V30.
I like to support good software and have been paying for the new versions for ages - but I haven't really needed any of the new features.
However, this is so annoying that I almost don't use MC on my Mac anymore because it competes with other software every time. Until this is resolved, I won't be upgrading because it just doesn't make sense. The Mac version feels so little Mac-like anyhow.

Concretely the question: Can Mediacenter now only address the play/pause/next keys. Screen brightness and the other function keys should still continue to work. Essentially, it is important to me that the volume keys control the volume of the system and NOT those within MC.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2022, 08:42:56 am »

can anyone tell me how the behavior is on the Mac in the V30.
I like to support good software and have been paying for the new versions for ages - but I haven't really needed any of the new features.
However, this is so annoying that I almost don't use MC on my Mac anymore because it competes with other software every time. Until this is resolved, I won't be upgrading because it just doesn't make sense. The Mac version feels so little Mac-like anyhow.

Concretely the question: Can Mediacenter now only address the play/pause/next keys. Screen brightness and the other function keys should still continue to work. Essentially, it is important to me that the volume keys control the volume of the system and NOT those within MC.
In any version of MC you can turn off the use of the Media Keys so MC never uses them.
Tools->Options->General->Advanced->Media Key Mode

Tigger

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2022, 01:27:10 pm »

But I use Play/Pause a lot and don't want to miss that.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 01:44:31 pm »

But I use Play/Pause a lot and don't want to miss that.
That works fine in MC29 and MC30.
On newer versions of MacOS you need to have input monitoring permissions allowed for MC. This is because MC has to monitor those keys to see if they are being hit.

Tigger

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2022, 06:03:18 pm »

I'm sorry but I just can't get this to work.
I am constantly connected to my central JR server and want to play my music locally. With MC30 the mediakeys now only work once after program start.Once the focus is lost from the program the keys no longer work and only work sporadically again later.  I have assigned the permissions in the accessibility settings.

btw: why does JR asks for permissions for screen recording ?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2022, 06:12:42 pm »

I'm sorry but I just can't get this to work.
I am constantly connected to my central JR server and want to play my music locally. With MC30 the mediakeys now only work once after program start.Once the focus is lost from the program the keys no longer work and only work sporadically again later.  I have assigned the permissions in the accessibility settings.

btw: why does JR asks for permissions for screen recording ?
Because it occasionally copies a bitmap from one part of it's screen to another.
That's documented in the wiki install instructions.
MC will mostly work without that permission.

For your mediakeys issue at this point since it always works on whatever test machine I'm using I'll assume you are, like the others have in the past, having trouble with some other app also intercepting the media keys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up