INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display Settings Automatic Change Mode Issue on Intel iGPU (very specific)  (Read 1654 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!

Background:  In testing the various JRVR modes on Intel Nuc8 to a Epson TW9300 via a Yami AVR, I've found an issue with MC's "Display Settings Automatic Change Mode".  I've set this mode to use the matching frame rates for content but selected 1920x1080 resolution for each as the TW9300 only has a 10ghz HDMI chipset even though it can receive up to UHD.  This way I'll get JRVR's HDMI HDR passthrough at all frame rates and it all works.

Issue: It appears that when MC autoswitches to 1920x1080@50hz the Intel Driver is changed to an "Active Signal Mode of 3840 x 2160" with a "Desktop Mode of 1920x1080" and that it goes from "Maintain Display Scaling" to "Scale Full Screen" and hence JRVR is no longer able to passthrough HDR.  I can manually fix this by selecting "Maintain Display Scaling" in the Intel Graphics Control Panel and it will be fine until I play a different frame rate material and then comeback to 50hz where it is back to "Scale Full Screen".  I don't seem to have the issue when changing to other frequences (eg 23.976, 59.94) but only when switching back to 50hz.

I've sent a log to Hendrik.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Display Settings Automatic Change Mode Issue on Intel iGPU (very specific)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 02:40:36 am »

The internet says this happens when you request a mode that the driver "thinks" is not supported by the GPU or Display, which sounds odd to me when you can manually force it afterwards with the scaling setting.
I don't think there is much we can influence here on MCs side, the resolution change is pretty straight forward, that it doesn't do what we ask, and only in the case of 50Hz, is just weird and definitely happening behind our back.

The internet also suggests you might be able to force the scaling mode with a registry edit. I don't currently have any Intel GPU active in a system to check if that does anything though.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 05:26:53 am »

Yeah it is beyond weird as it only happens with 50hz and only when driven programmatically.  If I manually do a change to 50hz from the Intel Control Panel it is fine (but then again, "Maintain Display Scaling" is selected at that time).  I even tried to add a "Custom Res" but it made no difference.  If you found a post about registry hacks do you mind sharing the link as I did not see those.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 05:30:39 am »

My only other thought is to try to change or override the EDID so UHD resolutions is not exposed.  Not sure how to do that these days with signed INF files however.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 04:19:36 pm »

Using CRU I removed UHD @ 50hz and now there is no issue.  Bit of a blunt force option but it does work.  I've also had some weird HDMI sound issues on this NUC after the Win11 in place upgrade, so I think I'll do a clean install anyway and retest.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 10:56:59 pm »

So a clean install did not make any difference.  Same behaviour. 

FYI - The other weird HDMI sound issue I was referring to was that when I turn on HDR on this box, the AVR reports that it is only receiving 2ch PCM (Left and Right) even though windows is set to 5.1 or 7.1 etc.  As soon as I turn off HDR then it reports the correct # of channels. 
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 11:52:01 pm »

Fixed it!  This setup always required a fairly long "Wait after change (use if display changes slowly)" setting of 5 secs.  Turns out it was not quite enough with HDR On.  Upped it to 10 sec and now it all works.

Note: I also found and applied a HDMI BIOS update for this unit
JRiver CEO Elect

landogid

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 03:04:57 pm »

Hey,

I'm experiencing a similar issue. I have an intel NUC connected directly via HDMI to a panasonic TV, and through a HDMI to VGA adapter to a samsung monitor. When I have both monitors connected and set to either extended or dupcliated view, I get display on both, but if I try just the tv it doesn't display anything.
Any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Gidon
Pages: [1]   Go Up