INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trouble with license, newbie  (Read 1775 times)

antoineestephan

trouble with license, newbie
« on: November 28, 2021, 03:37:28 am »

Hi
My name is Antoine Estephan, I am new to the Linux crowd, almost illiterate, working PCs all my life, didn't know that Linux would be so daunting. And also I'm a new member of this Forum.
Yesterday I bought a Linux License for MC 28 and installed it on Buster Raspbian on Pi4 and I was only able to register by using the registration code, wasn't able to make the license work for me, so I lost one of my 10 restores, and I'm probably gonna need those a lot.
So in buster I wasn't able to mount my NAS where I have about 3 TB of music.
Since I am more familiar with Twister, I installed MC 28 on it, but still can't register with the License.mjr
Where I was lost is where I read "install the license manually, using the Linux terminal (as the USER running MC, and NOT as root or sudo)"
Now how can I do that? No idea
So Please Help
And I'm gonna need later more help trying to mount my NAS on Buster
Please bear with me I am completely new to Linux talk, and English is not my language
And good day to you all

antoineestephan

Re: trouble with license, newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 04:07:01 am »

Hi again
Probably spoke too soon, after searching some posts and a lot if trials I was able to make it work.
So thanks and please let's concentrate on the other part of the question, ie mount my NAS on Buster.
Good Day

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 07:22:23 am »

Read through this link. I believe you should find what you are searching for regarding setting up your NAS.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128121.msg888850.html#msg888850
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 06:38:06 pm »

This is what I do when setting up a network share on any Debian distro (some steps may not be needed). This is assuming a Windows type share (Samba). The NAS share would need to be set up for it.

1. Open a terminal and run sudo apt install cifs-utils
2. Run sudo apt install samba
3. Run sudo apt install gedit (my preferred text editor)
4. Run sudo gedit (this opens the text editor as root)
5. Open /etc/fstab in gedit and paste the following at the end of the file:

//192.168.X.XX/sharename    /home/pi/Music     cifs     auto,username=XX,password=XX    0     0

I expanded the spacing between groupings above for viewing, only one space is needed but will work as-is. Update the NAS ip address, share name, username, and password for the NAS share. This is a simple mount with no write privileges. Get something working before increasing the complexity.

6. Save the file and keep the text editor window open. Open a separate terminal and run sudo mount -a

If everything is right this will mount the share in the Music folder and a shortcut will appear on the desktop. If you see an error message in the terminal you can make adjustments and retry. After you get it working in Terminal run Preferences-Raspberry Pi Configuration from the Main Menu and check the box for "Wait for network", otherwise it may not work at boot.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

antoineestephan

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 01:04:35 am »

Read through this link. I believe you should find what you are searching for regarding setting up your NAS.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,128121.msg888850.html#msg888850
Hi Thank you for your help
I tried your recommendation, but when I get to the part:
<full path to your library> /mnt/music cifs credentials=/home/pi/.credentials,nofail,vers=3.0,x-systemd.automount,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,uid=1000,gid=1000
Which credentials should I put, I tried the following: Leave them as is, put my pi credentials, or my NAS credentials
and I always got this message after sudo mount -a
mount: /etc/fstab: parse error at line 6 -- ignored
can't seem to be able to advance further
So any ideas, what does "parse error at line 6" mean
Thanks again and good day

antoineestephan

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 01:25:36 am »

This is what I do when setting up a network share on any Debian distro (some steps may not be needed). This is assuming a Windows type share (Samba). The NAS share would need to be set up for it.

1. Open a terminal and run sudo apt install cifs-utils
2. Run sudo apt install samba
3. Run sudo apt install gedit (my preferred text editor)
4. Run sudo gedit (this opens the text editor as root)
5. Open /etc/fstab in gedit and paste the following at the end of the file:

//192.168.X.XX/sharename    /home/pi/Music     cifs     auto,username=XX,password=XX    0     0

I expanded the spacing between groupings above for viewing, only one space is needed but will work as-is. Update the NAS ip address, share name, username, and password for the NAS share. This is a simple mount with no write privileges. Get something working before increasing the complexity.

6. Save the file and keep the text editor window open. Open a separate terminal and run sudo mount -a

If everything is right this will mount the share in the Music folder and a shortcut will appear on the desktop. If you see an error message in the terminal you can make adjustments and retry. After you get it working in Terminal run Preferences-Raspberry Pi Configuration from the Main Menu and check the box for "Wait for network", otherwise it may not work at boot.
Hi Thank you Zillsguy
It seems it finally worked for me.
I got the Nas Mounted now i'm seeing mediacenter adding files to the library
Thank you guys
And good day to all
Pages: [1]   Go Up