INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with setting up file locations/navigation  (Read 1851 times)

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
Help with setting up file locations/navigation
« on: December 08, 2021, 05:41:09 pm »

I am having problems with understanding out how to setup navigation to my videos. I have in theater view: Video>Movies>Home Videos>Other (I'm sure that once i figure that out i will be a similar setting to get my Images setup as well). But after reading - https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Location_Settings - i am confused, as to how to get my video files (MP4, mpg) to be seen under "Movies". I created a test folder told jriver where it is (options>file location>ripped DVD Video, i see no setting for movies), but it does not show up under Videos>Movies in theater view.

Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction/help me with what i am doing wrong?

Thanks, Tom

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Re: Help with setting up file locations/navigation
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 04:07:56 pm »

Firstly go to Tools > Options > Theater View.  Under items to show select the item you want to show your home videos, i.e. Videos > Movies > Home Videos then click on Set rules for file display.  It probably should be Media type is Video and Media Sub Type is Home Video
You now to edit the tags on your home videos to have Media Type = Video and Media Sub Type = Home Video

When you import more of these in the future you can set the tags during import.

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 07:41:55 pm »

Thanks Richard, that helps!
I'm also seeing that theater view takes the name to display from the file name Video>Movie>Name. So i renamed my files to reflect what i want displayed. But i'm seeing that the date i added to each file does not display. As in "Bill Evans - Time Remembered  [2015]" displays as "Bill Evans - Time Remembered". I also noticed that changing the file name to "Bill Evans - Time Remembered  (2015)" makes no difference even though "Bill Evans - Time Remembered (Bonus)  [2015]" will display the text between the parentheses. Wonder why numerals won't display and characters will? Also wondering if there is a recommended size (aspect ratio) for DVD cover images, i notice that some of my "folder.jpg" images are getting cut off in theater view.

thanks again

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 02:47:07 pm »

Thanks Richard, that helps!
I'm also seeing that theater view takes the name to display from the file name Video>Movie>Name. So i renamed my files to reflect what i want displayed. But i'm seeing that the date i added to each file does not display. As in "Bill Evans - Time Remembered  [2015]" displays as "Bill Evans - Time Remembered". I also noticed that changing the file name to "Bill Evans - Time Remembered  (2015)" makes no difference even though "Bill Evans - Time Remembered (Bonus)  [2015]" will display the text between the parentheses. Wonder why numerals won't display and characters will? Also wondering if there is a recommended size (aspect ratio) for DVD cover images, i notice that some of my "folder.jpg" images are getting cut off in theater view.

thanks again

I don't think Theater View takes the name to display from the file name, it is from the Name tag.  The value in the Name tag is probably derived from the file name.  Try editing the Name tag to "Bill Evans - Time Remembered  (2015)"

tomx2

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 11:35:34 am »

Thanks. ok, i'll delve into tagging for video.
In experimenting with the image size i found that 680p x 1000p works better but still not perfect (still experimenting with this).

Update: Still unable to determine the actual image size that JRiver requires/prefers. The best i can figure out is an image size of 675 x 1000 pixels or equivalent ratio seems to display fine in theater view without any cropping.

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up